YALE Forklift questions

dkmc

Diamond
Calling all Forklift experts.....

Looking at a Yale G83P-0400-SWT-074
Late 60's / early 70's ??

Slant six engine...might be dead.

IS this a 225 cu in?
Same as the Chrysler Automotive engine??

Someone said the bell housing is different, maybe other things also....

dk

yale

The engine in question is the same as a one for a car as far i know.The only thing that would be different would be manafolds and the engine has a govener the bell housings are all the same also the valve seats might be diffrent if you are running it propane . I wolud check with a good engine rebuilder to get it bebuilt as this motor is getting pretty old .

Hope this helps

Dan, I'm not sure of the model #, but we've had a 12K Yale of about the early to mid 70's for about 25 years. Its got the slant 6. The engine was probably the industrial version originally since there were tons of those built and sold for various industrial apps. Ours had a known engine problem when we bought it, and it croaked shortly thereafter. IIRC we bought a Jasper auto or light truck long block to replace it. Everything accessory-wise bolted right up with no issues. The slant 6 is a good tough motor and we've never had a bit of trouble with the replacement.

If this lift is like ours it'll have a 2 speed gearbox with the shifter to the right of the seat. If so, check to see that it'll go into both gears solidly. These critters had what must've been a genetic problem with wear in the shift fork mechanism. If there's what seems like about a mile of movement between the two gear positions, its an indicator of wear in the shifter. Although there's a top cover on the box, the shift shaft goes in thru the side of the case, which makes replacing the fork more than a minor job. Not minor to the extent that we've had a new fork laying on a shelf at the shop for 10 yrs and haven't yet found the inclination to tear it down and install the fork.

Other than that, ours has been relatively trouble free for a lot of years. We've had some other lifts of the same size and age range, and I always found the Yale easier to operate smoothly than most of the rest of them. Its short enough that its fairly maneuverable considering its capacity. As I said, ours is a 12K @ 24" center. The rating is pretty much on the money. We've had 13K on it at about a 24" center, and the rear wheels start to get light enough that you have to steer kinda lightly. IOW, it is a 12K machine and not a 15K one with a 12K rating plate.

If it is a slant 6 I would bet it's a Chrysler and I would be doubtful that Chrysler would have made a different block when they only used one bell housing from 6 cyl to RB(426 and 440) for cars.
One thing about a 225 slant 6......if it starts running real quiet it's about to blow up:crazy:

Bought & paid for....

Never any doubt it was a Chrysler slant 6, just that there might be an industrial block with SAE bell housing. Then last night I got thinking about it.....be a cold day in hell when they'd do a completely different block just to get the SAE feature, so yea the "x-pert" at the Yale dealer that told me the ind & auto block are different was just blowin....smoke...er...something.

Then I saw Cliff's (metlmuncher's) post and that confirmed + removed any doubts. Thanks Cliff!

I had a '53 yale with the "IND-30" industrial flathead, and that had a 'spacer' bell housing that went from the block to the trans.....maybe 'auto' to SAE on the trans eh? Looks like same or very similar 2 speed/ hi/low Eaton tranny also.

Would this one below have a fluid coupling like my '53 had?

Anyway.....same features between the two I need, pneu tires, under 7' mast to go thru a couple 'garage' doors, (I'll remove the cage or shorten it I guess) and this one has POWER STEERING....Joy!
And this one goes 14 ft where the old one sometimes was a bit short at 8ft.

Happy with this find.....I think $350 can't be too wrong a deal...
Local scrap yard said 5-1/2 cents/pound so if it's 7000lb I'll break even if I have to haul it there....ha....

Gotta draggit home & doo some exploratory (or maybe post mortify'em) on the beast....

;)

dk

Orange Blossom Special II :cheers:

OBSII4-1.jpg

They are not totally bullet proof but if you fix whats broke you will be pleased. I have had mostly had good luck with the local Yale dealer. Many parts are easy after market US of A stuff (call napa), but dealer parts May be cheaper. If you are wanting to keep it BUY the BOOKs. Yale has excellent service literature.

good luck

:eek:
Umm, about that.
Fact is, 6 cyl. ( 170, 198, 225 ) is all by itself, that bell housing will NEVER fit a RB block, no way no how. Hell, it won't even fit a 318.
273, 318, 340, 360 all LA motors, use their own bellhousing
361, 383, 400 all B motors,
413, 426 (wedge) 426 Hemi, 440 all RB motors, bellhousings shared with B motors.
I'd like to see your mysterious one size fit's all bellhousing :nutter:
Dave

If it is a slant 6 I would bet it's a Chrysler and I would be doubtful that Chrysler would have made a different block when they only used one bell housing from 6 cyl to RB(426 and 440) for cars.
One thing about a 225 slant 6......if it starts running real quiet it's about to blow up:crazy:

Yea.....I know Mopar had numerous flavors of bellhousing patterns.
Ford had a few too....
Chevy was the most standard across the line.

Originally Posted by BigMike782
If it is a slant 6 I would bet it's a Chrysler

Most likely cause no one else made such a thing.....

Got the FL -RUNNING- ......it is perfect.
No oil, or water leaks anywhere, all cylinder seals dry.
Runs smooth.....needs a muffler.
Guess I won't be dealing with blocks & parts & such.....yee haw.

Had gurgling sounds from the engine on first start up with no oil pressure. None for an uncomfortably long time....20? seconds....then oil around the filter & on the ground underneath...

Investigations revealed, the oil filter was just about finger tight....story I got was that apparently when it was 5 deg outside some twit started it up and redlined it....sudden puddle of engine oil appeared under machine. Towed to the spot in the parking lot I found it at where it sat for 3? years

SO.....
Took off filter, re-situated the gasked in the groove, reinstalled and added 2 quarts of oil....all is well.....45lbs pressure cold.

My take on chain of events:
Oil was thick.....RPM & pressure high.....spit out a 3/4" long section of the oil filter GASKET. Thus the copious quantity of oil on the ground as reported by not-to-ambitious mechanic. He said he thought a rod put a hole in the block...and that made the oil leak out....

There was lots of water in the oil ...engine & hydraulic. so will change all fluids. Already did the oil & now it's pretty clear. Bring it up to temp for awhile, then change again...

I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely thank the people that did their part on this project. The FL driver-red-liner, and mechanic that chose to not investigate further.....

THANKS GUYS! :D :cheers:

PS: I'd like to get a manual for this thing

Nice one Dan, reminds me of the time a freind asked me to go with him to look at a 4x6 chicom bandsaw for sale at $30

It was brand new, guy said 'It does cut just want rid.' told freind to give the man his money QUICK.......... they work a lot better with the blade the right way round.

Doncha love idiots :D

I have a forklift very similar to this only older, mine has the flathead motor. Its been very reliable and useful for a long time.
A friend of mine was the mechanic at the local cab company for years and they use alot of slant 6's. He told me they run forever but for some reason when they have problems it always started with no. 5 cylinder. So I guess if your #5 has good compression and is firing properly you can assume the rest will too? Some of them had aluminum blocks and others iron. The iron ones were better as the alloy ones sometimes had headgasket issues. The aluminum ones had no deck on the top of the block, rather the cylinders sealed to the head with a special gasket.

Back