What's new
What's new

How much should one expect rigging costs to be?

snowman

Diamond
It's a difficult question to answer without all of the specifics, I know. But if I wanted to buy a machine from a machinery dealer and have the rigger pick up, transport say 100 miles and drop the machine on my driveway (from street to driveway in residential district)...how much should I realistically expect to pay?

I've always moved things myself, but I no longer have a truck....and my products are transforming to the point where I need a little greater capability in my little garage. I have a growing desire to own some machines that are just beyond my ability to transport. A good sized horizontal mill for example, or a shaper, etc. Once I've got them on the ground, I'd be fine.

So, figure in the 3-4000 lb range, picked up from either auction, another shop or dealer, loaded, transported say 50 - 100 miles and dropped on my driveway...what should a fair price be? (and not a favor price, I don't know any riggers)

One place I know would charge $100 - $125/ hr for a job like that,, maybe a charge for mileage too due to the fuel costs. My guess would be about $500. to $800 . Assuming they use 2 guys a rollback and forklift and would have to haul the forkilift to your place too. If you found a rigger already working at an auction,, and you are paying cash, it might make a difference. When I was doing that kind of work, I would sometimes just use the rollback and slide the machine off the truck, as long as it didn't need put in place in a building. If you found somone willing to do it that way, you could get by a bit cheaper.

In my limited rigger experience. $175 an hour plus mileage, which was around a buck a mile, both ways. So one machine, 200 miles one way, was $2100 after tax.

I do understand he has to pay for a truck, a trailer, a forklift, insurance on all that crap and a helper that just sits most of the time. And its not a little truck, and its not a little forklift, and if he destroys my machine, I get paid for it.

If your car can pull the weight, try this:

Hendey5-3.jpg

It's a drop bed trailer available from Sunbelt Rentals: Construction Equipment Rentals & Tool Rentals -- Rental Equipment, Rent Tools & Equipment | Sunbelt Rentals

I've used it several times and it is really helpful. It was $45 to rent it, and if you pick it up on Saturday morning you can keep it until Monday for no extra charge (they're closed on Sunday).

Bob :cheers:

EDIT:

I like these Roll-O-Lifts, too. Also avaialable from Sunbelt:

Wadelathe3-2.jpg

I pay $75 to have a milling moved within town (10 miles) with a tilt and load. This includes winching it on and taking it off. Call the tow truck guys. I figure 100 mile round trip would cost me $150 more.

Do they have trailer brakes Bob?

Thanks for the suggestion...looks like they have one in Novi.

Yes on the brakes. The unit towed nicely, especially once loaded up. The unit pictured could hold 4,000lbs. They have a larger unit with two axles which will handle 6,000lbs (I think).

The Novi shop is where I got the one pictured. They changed their winter hours and may not be open on Saturday mornings yet. Nice guys though, give them a call and I'll bet that if you grab it Friday evening it'll be yours for the whole weekend for $45.

Bob

Ditto on the tilt and load tow trucks. I just moved a 6000 lb lathe that way. $160.
The driver was able to put the end of the tilting ramp in my garage, and slowly slide and scoot it a few inches at a time as it came down the ramp.
When all was said and done, it was almost completely in the garage.
My 4000lb Rivett was delivered the same way, and when I sold it, it went out on a tilt and load, too.
Dan

Look at my avatar. That's 65,000 pounds in the air. You could have bought a truck for what it cost to unload that VTL and move it through the plant. BTW, the trucking charges to get it here was another $30K.
JR

I once used a tow truck to move a small lathe(Hardinge DV59). They picked it up, and moved it like they would a motorcycle. It was a lot cheaper than a rigger. A few years back I used a towing company to move my shop. They used a rollback truck, and a boom truck. Some of my equipment was on wheels, and they winched it up onto the rollback. They used the boom truck to pick up the rest of the equipment, and place it on the rollback. A nice feature of using the boom truck, is that they could place it quite far into my garage. This was a few years ago (10?) but the total cost was 350.00. This was for a Bridgeport mill, Hardinge lathe, Rockwell Lathe, two spindle drill press, Large cold saw, and a welder.

I have used several towtruck drivers over the years. Finally settled on one that knows and cares about his work. Honest price (not free, but worth it) and prompt service.

Has two flat beds, boom type wrecker, and a small crane.

Have moved MANY 3000-5000lb machines this way, from sitting on the floor to sitting on the floor. Used the winch to pull them out of buildings and onto the truck. Then slid onto the ground at the other end. Pushed into place by "poling" using the the bed hydraulics and a long 2x4.

This is Southern California, but the rigger I use would charge $500. I went through a lot of crappy ones before I found Gabriel. He has a gantry hoist built into his truck, so 5,000 pounds is about his max. Before him I had guys who would charge every hour and they would even stop and eat, and take the long way.

Look at my avatar. That's 65,000 pounds in the air. You could have bought a truck for what it cost to unload that VTL and move it through the plant. BTW, the trucking charges to get it here was another $30K.
JR

Oh, since I get nervous driving vehicles without rust holes and dents, I likely could have bought many trucks for what the rigging costs were.

But thanks a lot guys, this thread helped me figure out a lot of things...largely that I will probably continue moving machines myself, but with the sunbelt rentals trailer and a u-haul, I can move anything I want. (or at least anything I want that I even remotely have a chance of fitting into my shop)

A few years back I had riggers move a 1,000-lb lathe 14 miles from the commercial seller to my home and unload into the garage. They charged me $200, provided I was willing to wait until they had another load going in the same direction. If your time is flexible you might try that approach.

OTOH, another rigging company quoted me $1600 to move a 7x14" surface grinder from the garage into the basement.

Mike

Tilt and load's the way to go but be wary of aluminum checker plate beds, a nice heavy cast iron machine doesn't slide too easy on them, good for towing, bad for loading and unloading

I paid $550 to have a #32000 devlieg moved 20 miles and unloaded at my shop.... they did it fast and with out any hicups set it right where I wanted it. its worth it to have pro's move big stuff. I have the same company unload a #4500 lathe it was $100 ... cheep :)
cheers Don

Back