What's new
What's new

How to ship 1500lb machine to NY from unskilled seller in AZ

richard newman

Titanium
I'm thinking of buying a 1500lb bandsaw in Phoenix AZ from a seller who is unable to prepare it for shipment, it's just sitting on a pallet. I don't know anyone in the area who could help.

How does one go about dealing with something like this? It's an older used machine, but I'd like it to arrive at my dock intact, without spending a fortune.

Have him buy some cheap ratchet straps and eye bolt lag screw things. Strap it to the pallet. Have him take it to his nearest Fastenal and they can ship it to your local Fastenal.

I hate Fastenal, but I think their shipping service is a smart idea for small shops and noobies.

without spending a fortune.

Good luck.. I don't think you are going to like the price. If the guy could get it on a truck
and prep it for shipping, you might be OK. But you've got to send somebody out there with a
fork lift, and then get it on a truck..

What you need is a rigger.. That's what they do, they go pick up heavy shit and either put it on
or take it off trucks.

Being in Phoenix, at least its a city, not like middle of nowhere bumfuck New Mexico, where I'm
paying 4-7 hours of travel time before anything even gets done...

I'm sure somebody here is from Phoenix and can point you to a good one.. Let the rigger set up
the shipping, I've never been able to even come close to what a machine tool dealer or rigger has
been able to get me for shipping.

It would have to be a great deal, or a very nice machine to be worth shipping, and as the shipper won't help it just gets more expensive. No shipper wants to be involved in securing/ crating/ taking responsibility for the load, so now you have to hire another company to do it. I've done the same service (light rigging and crating) here on the east coast, and I drop at the terminal. Last 1000 pound load I had to crate and deliver to the terminal, to ship to LA was $750 my fee, and $1200 on the truck to LA.

I moved a couple smaller machines in ABF u-pack pods. They are one size. I think the weight limit is 2000 or 2500. I was pretty close on one as the forklift that they use for pick up barely got it, so don't go over or the might tip. Iowa to Texas was about 1700 for two of them.

Back