What's new
What's new

Biax scraper source

JHowell

Aluminum
Hello, All,

I've looked through old threads for a source for a Biax hand scraper. All Dapra has listed on their website now is power scrapers, and I haven't gotten a reply to my email from them. Anyone know where to get the carbide hand scrapers?

Thanks,

Jack

I found one on Ebay a few years back. I think I paid around $20 for it, used. The thing is old with someones initial in it, but in excellent shape. I wish that tool could talk. I'm sure it would have a cool past to talk about. I was just scraping a lathe bed with it today.

Contact Matt at Dapra. They aren't cheap.

Home made scrapers are dead easy to make given some basic metalworking skills. If you elect to go with carbide you will need some basic diamond sharpening equipment, primarily a motor driven diamond lap. Someone posted a photo of one I made.

Thanks for the name, Forrest, I'll call tomorrow. I agree about the ease of making a scraper, but carbide is the draw, and I tried a Biax scraper a few days ago and thought it worked great.

I still hope to get to one of your classes someday.

Jack

Jack.

Another source here for similar.
http://www.andersonscraper.com/anderson_hand_scraper.html

At least gives you a comparative pricing. Like Forrest said. They aren’t cheap $105 - $126 depending on the width. Blades / Tips at $30 - $38.

Sandvik Coromant also used to do a very nice line. But hard to find. I was always happy with their grade of carbide. But I think they might have dropped them. I have some old insert box’s on my desk, with the numbers 620-2525 & 620-2520. Google only finds that part number on a few European sites.

The Pic Forrest mentioned. Not sure if this is his, or Rays. But the same concept.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/30/1855.html?

Regards Phil.

I live about 10 minutes away from Dapra. If you cannot reach them by phone I can stop over to check it out for you. I bought my hand scraper from them about two years ago.

Ed

Back