What's new
What's new

Hydraulic bottle jack? Upside down?

If you can modify the pump intake to work from the "top" of the jack. Otherwise work out a separate pump feed and release return.

Peter

Most bottle jacks have the intake port in the base along with the check balls.
Depending on the jack you might be able to mount a remote reservoir above the base to get it to function in the inverted position.

Just use a porta power ram they work in any position.

P.O.

The amount of junk collected is proportional to the amount of space available!

A Gun in hand is better than a Cop on the phone!

Trying to build a straightening press, traveling column. Thinking of a cheap power head. Figure I will upgrade later after I make some money off it. Steel is expensive and I need a lot of it.

Thought about enerpac, expensive.

Might hold out for a large foot mount cylinder.

You could get two jacks ,use one in the inverted position and one upright.
Use the upright one as the pump and the inverted one as the ram.
On the upright just limit the ram movement. Drill the bases and use a high pressure hose to connect. I did this on a bandsaw mill for a hyd. blade tensioner.

P.O.

The amount of junk collected is proportional to the amount of space available!

A Gun in hand is better than a Cop on the phone!

Add an auxilary reservoir

By adding a 2nd reservoir you can keep the intake of the pump supplied with oil. I also drilled and tapped a 1/2 npt thread and inserted a long nipple with a pressure gauge attached. Inside of the 1/2 long nipple I placed a screen door spring to make the jack self return. The press was made to form aluminum sheets to fit around 1/2 inch PEX tubing for a radiant heat floor system

gordon sorensen

Attachments

• pressFull.jpg
    pressFull.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 20,140
  • SAM_0275.jpg
    SAM_0275.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 8,599
A jack just pushes the two ends apart. It can do that in either orientation.

- Leigh

I agree, and if the reply is "I want to fix the jack rigidly at the top", then consider removing the adjuster.

It's not held in by much, I think they are installed and overtorqued as part of installation. The overtorque forces the screw onto a protrusion and deforms the end of the thread....

Or maybe not... but I found it very easy to remove the adjuster.

Then you can create a threaded adapter to rigidly mount the jack, via the ram.

A jack just pushes the two ends apart. It can do that in either orientation.

- Leigh

I have used bottle jacks upside down for some years. The trick is to slide the base (now at the top) into a pair of steel channels welded to the top frame. Then the jack can be removed easily at any time. If there is any danger of movement during use, extend the channels slightly and add a locating pin.

Hope this helps

Alan

Back