What's new
What's new

Lathe tooling organization

CHRIS165

Aluminum
My lathe is a floor model and has no cabinet to store tooling and contain chips. If possible I would like to see some pictures of how other members store their tooling for this type of lathe. Ideas are welcome on how to fabricate a chip pan/sheild and tooling storage ideas.

I'd say a cheap harbor freight roll a round or just a simple versa cart. You aren't going any bigger than 1/2 in cutters. Won't take up a whole lot of room.

A trip to the sheet metal shop will yield you a pan. For holders, make something that clamps the back vee way of the bed. The tool room model South Bends had a collet/draw tube holder like this from the factory.

My lathe is a floor model and has no cabinet to store tooling and contain chips. If possible I would like to see some pictures of how other members store their tooling for this type of lathe. Ideas are welcome on how to fabricate a chip pan/sheild and tooling storage ideas.

Here is some storage under my lathe. The drawers fit into rectangles the same size as those where the short lengths of stock are (at the bottom in this arrangement); this allows me to rearrange the drawers into any configuration I want, and allows me to separate the stock into appropriate groupings (e.g., one bin has 1/2" diameter stock, the next has 5/8", and so on):

LatheCabinet.jpg

Here is some storage fixed to the wall above the tailstock end, with various centers, chucks, center drills, etc.; also some t-handle allen keys, flux brushes for applying small amounts of lubricant, deburring tools, and cans of lubricant/cutting oil. In the lower shelf are a set of slots holding a collection of various files featuring custom-made handles:

LatheAccessories.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures of the lazy susan for my QCTP toolholders:

ToolholderLazySusan1.jpg

ToolholderLazySusan2.jpg

As you can see, all of this storage was mostly fabricated from scrap plywood -- quick and simple, but very effective. The lazy susan rotates on a large ball bearing that I scavenged. The drawers in the cabinet under the lathe came out of an old library card index that I scavenged. I also used the same drawers in a cabinet fitted into the home-made stand of a small mill-drill (aka glorified drill press):

MillCabinet2.jpg

You can't tell from the picture above, but the sides of this cabinet feature peg-board, allowing me to hang a variety of tools as needed. This combination of storage worked very well for me -- everything is very quickly to hand, and easy to return to its place, keeping things well organized.

I hope some of this will give you ideas for your storage needs!

The box under the lathe has 4, 8" X 3" wheels in pockets, look like shelves in the open box

The full width pipe handle swings up to push or pull it.

The lid slides out and swings down in front, out of the way and requires no "head room". It can be pushed back under the lathe without closing the lid, for standing room at the lathe during change out of chucks or 17-1/2" face plate.

More stuff in it now, I took those pix when it was new.
Chuckdrawer.jpg

Chuckonspindle.jpg

Draweropen.jpg

Above, the edge of the lid is facing up, it's hanging between the box and the pipe handle. You can see the paint scraped off of the lower steel rail on the left end, where the lids guide pins ride.
Draweropenchuckinroute.jpg

Bob

... I would like to see some pictures of how other members store their tooling for this type of lathe...

It really comes down to the layout of the lathe. Some people are able to store material underneath a Drip Pan while my Drip Pan is cast. I was able to, however use the edge to support a Tool Tree. Yeh, I need more supports.

I suggest quickly move to a Quick Change holder.

AlorisTree.jpg

Raymond

Back