What's new
What's new

I dislike the smell of metal

KevinDS

Plastic
Until a short while ago I thought I was interested in machining and the technology behind it. I'm pretty confident that I still am but one thing turns me off is the actual environment of a shop floor. I dislike the smell of touching metal and small chips and dust invariably still gets everywhere. And when dealing with lubricants you throw in getting greasy as well.

I was wondering if it takes a certain disposition to not be bothered by things like this or is it something some of you have had to learn to deal with and over time it wasn't an issue to you anymore?

...A machine shop isn't a place for fine ladies, like those guys in suits who run the EU bureaucracy in Brussels... :D

It's just the nature of the work. If you work with metal and lubricants, what would you expect them to smell?
Just get used to it and don't complain. Every machinist will laugh at you and tell you being a wuss.
Some metal alloys actually smell quite nice when cut or heated, and coolant smells like money to me. Your experience may vary. ;)

However, modern CNC shops with mist extraction are really clean to work in, but still can be a bit noisy.

Metals are odorless - metal(s) as a solid with high melting temperatures have vapor pressure so extremely low as to not emit enough molecules for even the finest human noses to detect...You are smelling something else in the shop - perhaps cooling fluids or oils burning, or rotting, or who knows what. I find my machine shop collects less dust than my house - but not the welding or grinding or wood working areas - which are dusty and filthy most girls would say...
Regarding welding and grinding - yes - you accept and grow accustomed to getting very dirty...
Do not see why that needs to be so in a machine shop...

It's the contact of metal-to-skin that causes a chemical reaction with the natural oils on your hand, it's the same when handling coins. Also I forgot about the noise, you're right that too! Maybe it seems like a silly question but it gives me a better idea of whether I should pursue machining or not. It's a myth that only girls don't like getting dirty.

OK here's a question which is reasonably germane to this thread. True,a piece of metal sitting around does not have a smell-but if you handle copper or its alloys your hands smell,well,coppery! Now I have a really old apothecarys mortar and after handling it my hands smell of garlic. I have the theory the bronze contains arsenic,as the copper and tin mines in Cornwall had silver and arsenic deposits close by. There's a useless bit of information for you. Is the garlic smell arsenic?

Why must people who assume any question that doesn't fit into the ordinary must automatically be a troll? You are worse than the trolls themselves.
I guess machining isn't for me then.

Why must people who assume any question that doesn't fit into the ordinary must automatically be a troll? You are worse than the trolls themselves.
I guess machining isn't for me then.

Yep! If you are concerned with the 'feel' of "metal" (steel, aluminum, copper, bronze..?) touching your hands.... :nutter:

BUT, I will add I hate the smell of tapmagic! I worked with a guy who used the stuff like flood coolant. :vomit:

Metals are odorless - metal(s) as a solid with high melting temperatures have vapor pressure so extremely low as to not emit enough molecules for even the finest human noses to detect...You are smelling something else in the shop - perhaps cooling fluids or oils burning, or rotting, or who knows what. I find my machine shop collects less dust than my house - but not the welding or grinding or wood working areas - which are dusty and filthy most girls would say...
Regarding welding and grinding - yes - you accept and grow accustomed to getting very dirty...
Do not see why that needs to be so in a machine shop...

odorless? i don't think so . perhaps the laws of physics cease to exist in your machine shop..... what a dumbshit thing to say.

something wrong with your nose? steel, aluminum ,brass , even stainless i can smell, and know what it is.

sounds like you read that bullshit somewhere.

I Love the smell of a machine shop and have to say after a while you will not notice it.In the past if I was away from this enviroment for say a year when I came back the smell would be more powerful and the noise seemed from a level I could not remember it being.A few weeks down the line and both have reduced in my little brain as it gets used to it again.When I was a young lad courting the wife she says she hated the smell of oil on my work clothes after we tied the knot she changed her mind saying she liked it as it meant the money was coming in

Yeah find another occupation, probably best to avoid any thing in agriculture, mechanics and electrics, print, chemical processing etc.

IMHO i love getting dirty, but thats me, if im not covered in something that makes me itch, laying in a uncomfortable position and in some kind pain - bleeding a bit it just don't feal like work!

You have made a grand total of 3 one-line posts to the forum, the general tenor of which is to announce what a pussy you are. :cryin:

Congratulations. You have explained the European Commission.

Remind me never to go to Belgium.

This has something to do with how Germany made you their bitch in 1914, doesn't it?

I am so glad about the smell of metal oxides and hot carbides and oils and grease because it’s not onions and fish and cauliflower. If it were the other way round, I’d be a cook.

At the school I worked at before I retired we also had kids from other schools for classes in engineering.

The other schools always sent a classroom assistant to liaise with our staff and the kids in the workshop.

One school sent a female assistant who promptly announced to us that she was allergic to metal !

One of our staff had an allergy to the round brass bar we used. It made him really itchy. He had to wear gloves when he handled the bar.

Regards Tyrone.

i love getting dirty, but thats me, if im not covered in something that makes me itch, laying in a uncomfortable position and in some kind pain - bleeding a bit it just don't feal like work!

I'm trying to figure out whether it's something you get used to or not. Did you always love getting dirty?

have to say after a while you will not notice it.

That's what I would assume and it's what keeps me guessing whether to pursue it.

One of our staff had an allergy to the round brass bar we used. It made him really itchy. He had to wear gloves when he handled the bar.

Interesting, for me it's not that bad.

Have to agree with the above. I don't mind veggies but handling raw meat bothers me. Not enough to go veggie since dead pig is yummy, I just don't really much like cooking the stuff. I'm also not planning to become a butcher.

I wear gloves when working with messy stuff, a shop apron when doing stuff on the lathe or drill press, and crappy clothes that can get dirty as needed. I wash my hands as needed through the day and get a shower when done for the day.

Go to work on an animal farm for 6 months. Hogs, cattle, dairy, chickens, it just doesn't matter. You will think a machine shop smells just fine and is amazingly clean.

I used to hate the feeling of rusty metal.. It could even give me goosebumps.
No problem with that anymore.. Have a 1972 FIAT. :D
When working in production with coolant all over me, more than once, even a shower, I just couldn't smell it.
Now when I enter production sites, the smell of coolant brings back memories. :)

Back