What's new
What's new

I found some pieces of brass. What are they?

garyrice

Aluminum
My original post was summarily dismissed as meaningless. So I will try again.

I've come across a set of 7 pieces of brass similar to the one in my photo.

They are all 4 inches long and triangular in cross section. The smallest is 1/8" across each leg of the equilateral triangle and the largest (pictured) is 5/8". There are 2 holes near the end that is rounded off. The holes are about 7/16 apart. The hole nearest the end is 1/16" in diameter and the other on is 3/32".

There as a narrow groove cut lengthwise down one side of the triangle.

My initial guess at what these are electrodes for an EDM machine. But I'm purely guessing.

Care to take a guess yourself?

Gary

IMG_6101.jpg

There the operating shaft for some old cabinet locks, have seen them before, think like the square in a modern internal door handle.

Gary - I was glad to see that you reposted, with just enough of a change in title to get by. Please do not think of your original post as having been "summarily dismissed" as if you were singled out for unfair treatment. It was just a case of applying to you the same rules and practice standards that have always applied to this forum. I think you may find, if you haven't already found out, that PM is well worth sticking with.

-Marty-

How is this even remotely relevant to a manufacturing forum?
Could this information be used to aid you or others in the manufacture of some item?

All this nonsense is diluting a valuable resource.

how about a forum called "guess my crap".
We have too many guys posting on here with landfill,thinking it is
gold.

What forum would you suggest? I thought "General" was just that: GENERAL.

It is---in the context of Machining. I mean we can't just have people who post pictures of their cat doing a backflip in the "General" sub forum, or what you had for Dinner. The fact that you thought it might be a 'trode for a Sinker gives it some validity, but since it was identified as part of a Cabinet sort of negates that.

There is another bloke here that just posts pictures of random junk, and asks what it is (opinions abound). But, we sort of backed off of giving him a hard time about it, because he is a decrepit old man with nothing better to do, and no one likes being mean to the Elderly or the Train Spotters.

R

how about a forum called "guess my crap".
We have too many guys posting on here with landfill,thinking it is
gold.

Well, we're in luck -- there actually is one. It's just not on this site.

Go to: For the identification of mysterious... things
add a free account (not using your real name), read the posting rules, and put up the 'whatsit'. It's crowdsourcing at its finest.

People on that "subreddit" (<--- their words, not mine) go there specifically to do exactly what you're requesting. Now, you'll have to put on your big boy pants to dip your toe into arguably the 'wild, wild west' of the internet, but if you stay on that subreddit you'll be fine.

This is not a 'go away' post, but a pointer to a "more-welcoming option."

About 2% of the time, posts like yours result in "Wow, I've been looking for that for 10 years" but most of the time it's doorknob parts. For a lot of posters here, that's not enough of a yield for a pro-manufacturing-related site.

But do sign up and post it there. You'll find answers and more.

Maybe they are used on older tool cabinets for the locking mechanisms. I wonder what Leonnardo's tool cabinet looked like. Did he have to keep it locked so his apprentices did not borrow his tools or even swipe a drawing plan or two.
I wonder what brand of scaffolding Michelangelo preferred. Would he use a briax to carve marble if he was alive today?
I have read Egyptian tomb painters did not bother to paint behind the furniture and stuff leaning against the walls because it was too dark to see it and no inspectors would check after it was done and sealed.
No one wanted to be the last guy done because they might volunteer the last guy to close the door from the inside.
Any nuclear plant workers care to comment?
Bill D

we sort of backed off of giving him a hard time about it, because he is a decrepit old man with nothing better to do, and no one likes being mean to the Elderly or the Train Spotters.

R

Meahh.. More accurate perhaps to say it was abandoned over too low a percentage return in bothering, thick as the skin, scars, and calluses get on "we" oldsters. Minds as well as arses..

:D

It is---in the context of Machining. I mean we can't just have people who post pictures of their cat doing a backflip in the "General" sub forum,

R

Well, shit!
I had this really cool cat picture..........
Never mind, none of you get to see it now!
David

Thanks for a straight-forward answer. It was refreshing to read a reply from someone without an axe-to-grind.

The world is full of bullies (evidence: many of the other posts). Thankfully YOU are not one of them.

Gary

Thanks for a straight-forward answer. It was refreshing to read a reply from someone without an axe-to-grind.

The world is full of bullies (evidence: many of the other posts). Thankfully YOU are not one of them.

Gary

There is no "Bullying" going on here, nor anyone with an "Axe to grind" sir.

There are plenty of people giving many hours of their expertise here,
For free, for nothing, and not to stroke any ego's.

If you'd simply close mouth and open eyes, you'd see.

Gary

What is a "Bully"? Did anyone try to get you to do something you didn't like, or take something from you? If the term "Bully" is synonymous with Brief or to the point, then yes. No one called you names or made fun of you, pulled your underwear over your head.

If it makes you feel better the Owner sometimes gets a little shit too, and gives some. Ever spent any time in a Machine Shop, we aren't really known for our Social Sensitivities, right or wrong is irrelevant, if you hang out at the Barber shop long enough.......

R

It is brass STOCK. I have a drawer, JUST ONE, for stuff like that. If it won't fit, then something goes in the trash to make room for it. Or it goes in the trash. I figure I can have one and ONLY one such drawer in my shop. And many times I can find the perfect piece of stock for something in there.

It’s scrap brass.

Back