What's new
What's new

I had my Sheldon lathe stolen and all my tools.

bmikkalson

Hot Rolled
During a move I loaded every tool I own in a enclosed car hauler. Including my restored and rescraped Sheldon lathe.
The cops said apparently the crooks broke into the storage yard and hooked up and just drove away with my trailer . 😡😡😡

Who knows where it could be, please keep a eye out for a Sheldon em56 lathe with new paint and recent hand scraping on the cross slide. (I’m looking for the cerial numbers)
The rest of the trailer contained about 15 years worth of body shop tools.

How does one even begin to have a lathe stolen?? I tell you I have no luck.

Talk about depressing, dealing with insurance is gonna be a a disaster.

The pics won’t work....dumb photo bucket.

Awful, sorry you're going through this. Keep an eye on Craigslist and local pawn shops. Have you contacted the police?
Ya I’ve been all over ebay, Craigslist and the pawnshops.
The police did not really seem to concerned. 😡more or less here is your paper work for the insurance .

Yeah that's about how it goes. If no one is dead or grievously injured they don't give a f@ck in most cases. Hope you find your lathe, or if not at least get some decent help from the insurance company.

Ya I’ve been all over ebay, Craigslist and the pawnshops.
The police did not really seem to concerned. ��more or less here is your paper work for the insurance .

I edited out my "police" comment when I reread your message, but you beat me to the reply punch. :( Anyway, hope you at least get some bucks from the insurance co, but they're not known for their charitable ways...

this sucks and i'm really sorry to hear.
i have been down this road a few times back in the woodchuck days, when i had to travel to the job. like you an entire trailer once that was literally full of high end power tools..in that case the insurance co paid overnight, the cops barely even looked around.
the next time, my truck rear glass was smashed, the fuck's got a much smaller haul. the new insurance co (and police) didn't do a damn thing.
thieves, and those who prey on others should be dealt with in similar fashion...

i suggest you do like me at the next space: build a big fuck off fence, park two or three dobermans behind it, install motion lighting and get yourself a small arsenal to defend you and yours.

best of luck man, really hope the insurance co does the right thing.

What had my curiosity is it a storage facility that was ran as a business, did he pay for a secure slip. If so there should have been reasonable security in place. Was he the only one hit?

To the op, that sucks to have that happen. Pm is pretty big, maybe a member will see it on Craigslist, ebay, ect. Those Sheldon are rather uncommon.
Best of luck in this matter, Hodge

... fence, park two or three dobermans behind it, install motion lighting and get yourself a small arsenal to defend you and yours.

Wasn't HIS storage area. And dogs need care and feeding, can restrict your ability to travel, take vacations, etc.

"Next time" - general advice, really - just don't leave conveniently snatched goods unattended in an un-monitored location.

Ready to roll trailer?

F**k me!

May as well have a sign on it saying "Steal ME first! I'm the EASY one!"

:(

Better yet, rally and get elected, the government that serves us, and upholds the constitution.

Make theft severely punishable, not coddling.

Just heard on NPR that Kalifornia changed Breaking & Entering to a mis-demeanor,
down from a Felony.

Makes their stats look good, but doesn't do a thing for the tax paying citizens.

The same thing happened a block from my house here in Germany and indirectly involved me. A neighbor outfitted his camper ready to start a vacation and parked it in his driveway ready to go in the morning. During the night, it was stolen. Same experience with the police. He advertised a reward for recovery. The same week, my motorcycle was stolen from my garage. Both the garage and the bike was fully locked up. The neighbor received an anonymous tip on his camper's location. He reported this to the police and when they raided the location, they found my bike in pieces, but not the camper. The point is that this is a lot more common than we think.

The If you don't try to slow down a thief, you aren't giving them second thoughts.

Remove a wheel.

Chain the wheels together.

Lock the tongue.

Deflate the tires, after blocking up the axle.

Weld the hasp together, keep an angle grinder with you.

Don't tell anybody what's in the trailer.

Grind/engrave your name on everything; my neighbor got irritated when he saw I had engraved my name on my lawnmower, chainsaw, microwave oven, washer and dryer.

As a fellow Sheldon owner, I can especially feel your pain.

When I had employees it was a constant battle keeping the door opening on the sidewalk closed. I would go on an errand and return to find the door wide open. The excuse was that they wanted air circulation. As everyone in the trade knows, if someone knows what to steal, he can cost you thousands of dollars in an armload. I don't even have a sign, just the number.

We had several robberies of the antique store that used to be a couple of doors away. We have trouble with scrap collectors.

The stained glass guys next door have an A frame they stand in their pickup to hold deliveries. When not in use, it sits in the alley between our buildings. Twice scrap collectors have dragged out to the street before someone saw them and stopped it.

If any of them saw the copper bar stock low down on my stock rack, I would have a break in for sure.

Bill

At my last job there was a pallet of SST I-beams that was delivered and was sitting outside waiting for the machine shop to process it. Guy actually walked in and asked if he could haul off the 'scrap' sitting in the driveway. They found room to move it inside by the end of the day.

Back