Largest Manufacturing Technology
Community On The Web
Close
Login to Your Account

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default I have to cut a chalkboard, what tool to use? Blade type

img_0404.jpgimg_0405.jpgimg_0406.jpgI have 2 chalkboards I need to cut down because they are too large.

I've never cut anything like this. My guess it's slate with some kind of backing material?

Anybody ever cut a chalkboard?

Sawzall? Which blade on the Sawzall? Circular saw? Other?

I know it's a long shot but thought I might ask before doing some test cuts on the ends.

I have a nice table saw that I would prefer not to do any tests with but if that's the right tool to make the cut that's what I'll use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

2 chalkboard and a dry erasure board needs to be cut down to size as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If it is an actual slate board, I'd try a diamond blade in a circular saw or grinder, if it is just painted wood, I'd go at it with a regular saw blade. Without seeing the white board, its a crap shoot as to guessing what it is actually made out of.

Nothing special to them, just determine what they are made out of and choose the appropriate blade.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

x2 an abrasive blade if its slate. Same way you cut ceramic/stone flooring tiles.

The dry erase boards we have are just a pressed paper composite w/ a shiny surface. Cuts easily w/ any saw. Put tape over the cut on the shiny side to limit chipping. (and cut from the side so the blade is cutting into it: white side up on a table saw, down w/ a hand circ saw.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Chalk boards are often just painted fine finished ply over hear. Painted with "black Board" paint. Car taker at school when i was a kid use to repaint them all every summer holiday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I cut down a slate chalkboard with a hacksaw blade-it is very soft-nothing like tile that most people are used to. I would get a fairly fine sabre saw blade and go for it. I did not have this tool when I did mine. the Sawzall can be hard to control. THe slate can crack easily, so I would move slow.
    Joe