What's new
What's new

I need a "0" or "very little" clearance M6 tap - confused by 2B, 4H, D3 etc.

Finegrain

Diamond
I need a "0" or "very little" clearance M6 tap - confused by 2B, 4H, D3 etc.

Hi guys,

I know I should know this, but, I seem to have forgotten :-(.

Spec says "M6X1.0 THRU ALL TIGHT FIT FOR M6x1 STUD". 303 1/2" thick. So I want an M6 tap with the smallest "class of fit," right? But, I see three different types of "class of fit" when I go searching in the MSC website -- "B" something, "D" something, and "H" something (I know, MSC sucks, but they are there and McMaster-Carr doesn't seem to have any class-of-fit differentiation at all) . Or are those actually not all referring to "class of fit?" Or am I barking up the wrong tree completely with "class of fit" and I want some other spec?

Help me :rolleyes5:.

Thanks, and regards.

Mike

be warned Mike - I did some D3 class a while back - in alu, with taps and gauges supplied, and they were a swine to get right, ........IMO the amount over std pitch diameter was so small - everything had to be ''just right'' ..........my auto reverse tapper - which is neither a Tapmatic or Procunier was not good enough, .......I ended up hand tapping them in a tapping stand - like this but (hopefully) better Hand Tapping Machine | Grizzly Industrial

I'm going to stick my neck out here, because it's been a while since I looked, but I recall McMaster not having a selection of fit classes in inch taps, either. McMaster is nice, but they're not really a cutting tool supply house, and odd fit classes are just a little bit too esoteric for them. Call a local cutting tool supplier. I happen to like Walter R. Hammond Co. in Minneapolis, but I'm sure there is someone closer to you.

Dennis

Hi guys,

I know I should know this, but, I seem to have forgotten :-(.

Spec says "M6X1.0 THRU ALL TIGHT FIT FOR M6x1 STUD". 303 1/2" thick.
So I want an M6 tap with the smallest "class of fit," right?

Help me :rolleyes5:.

Thanks, and regards.

Mike

The drawing needs to specify dimensional limits for this 'TIGHT FIT'

and query the customer as to exactly how this 'TIGHT FIT' is to be gauged by them and you.

Otherwise, everybody's just sucking wind.

Back