What's new
What's new

Identify The Manufacturer of Slitting Saws

projectnut

Stainless
As some of you may already know I purchased a Black Diamond drill grinder a few months ago. It was missing a few collet bushings, and since I couldn't get any answers from Black Diamond as to whether individual bushings were available I decided to make some. In total I made 7 that were missing.

As luck would have it I was talking to another shop owner and he too was in need of a few bushings for his Black Diamond grinder. He asked me to make a few for the small fractional and number series. To that end I was looking through my cabinets for some .015" and .020" slitting saws. I found a couple stacks that must have been around since Christ was in Sunday School. They're all brand new and of the sizes I need.

The bad part is I have no idea how long I've had them, or where they came from. I haven't bought this type of saw in many years. I don't know if I bought them from a vendor or they came out of a shop that was closing. In any case I can't identify one of the manufactures. One stack has an R inside a circle identical to the symbol used for a registered trademark. There is no other identification on the saws other than the width. There is a company named Round Tool Laboratories that currently makes carbide cutting tools, but they have a totally different logo. I'm wondering if the saws were possibly in their product line at one time.
The second stack has the letters GTD in what appears to be a profile of a gear rack which is an old logo from Greenfield Tap & Die. Their current website doesn't list any slitting saws, or horizontal milling cutters of any style. Any time I try to get to their catalog I get an error. I'm wondering if these are another in a long list of discontinued tools.

It might be helpful to know that thin circular saws are often called "jeweler saws" (or a variation) in catalogs.

Here are current examples:
Except I can't get the links to show up. You can Google fdtool.com, Malcosaw.com, thurstonmfg.com, and martindaleco.com

GTD (bought and absorbed, now WIDIA-GTD) used a 60 degree thread profile in their logo. WIDIA GTD - Innovation and Reliability for 145 Years

Larry

Back