What's new
What's new

Has anyone made a stop for 2J collets?

ions82

Stainless
I have a set of 2J collets for my Monarch 10EE, and I would like to make a stop that fits into the back of the collet. I have been trying to brainstorm ideas on how to go about it, but I've yet to reach that point where a lightbulb gets switched on in my head. Has anyone ever made a stop for 2J collets? I have a feeling that there is an incredibly simple and effective solution that I will never come up with on my own. Hopefully, a practical machinist somewhere out there has already figured it out! If you have any suggestions, pointers, or ideas, please post! Thank you for taking time to read through this thread.

If you have the Hardinge stop that smdubovsky shows you can do what I did. machine a tube, ID to fit the hardinge stop, OD top fit the 2j collet. machine a groove in the sleeve over the area where the locking pins come out of the hardinge stop. I made mine .187 wide and deep enough to leave about .040 wall thickness. drill 3 holes for the hardinge locking pins to poke thru. Make a ring to fit the groove and split it in half. The tube holds the stop true,the Hardinge lock pins push the split ring out to grip the ID of the 2j collet. It worked for me.

If this is for a front mount collet lathe chuck like a Sjogren, think about putting the stop in the lathe's spindle taper instead of the collet. An arrangement like that is easy to make and you get dead-length control to boot. The downside is that the stop is harder to install and remove with the chuck in place.

Here's a different style...

These pics show a different style of collet stop that I made in school many years ago. The stops depicted are for 5C collets but could be scaled up for 2J size.

One stop is shown mostly disassembled, one assembled, and, IIRC, the extra outer sleeve set is for a Harig GRIND-ALL.

-jmcvo

Attachments

• 5C_ColletStop-1.JPG
    5C_ColletStop-1.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 607
  • 5C_ColletStop-2.JPG
    5C_ColletStop-2.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 735

Back