What's new
What's new

Face Mill Mds Filed Nylon 6/6

seattlewa98

Cast Iron
I am maching MDS nylon 6/6 down to 0.095 remain with facemill, what are method to get smoooth finish and not bending ? I don't know how to spell wolf...
Thanks
Should I try to facemill with coolant on ?

Fixturing?

Hard to tell, without seeing the part and set-up. .095 is quite thin, in nylon, so you may need some support behind the part. I have machined tens of thousands of moly-filled nylon parts, and have found that a very sharp tool, with lots of backrake cuts best. You might be better off using a flycutter with a sharp tool in it, to get less part deflection.. I always honed the tool almost razor sharp.

I've done something similar for wearing / anti friction pads, Davis is right, ultra sharp HSS flycutter, lots of coolant and don't run too fast 200ft/min -ish watch the heat.

Fixturing:- I ended up sticking the material to a fenced block of steel with double sided sellotape, PITA as I had to clean, dry and degrease the block every time. .......... if I'd lots to do I'd go for a vacuum plate.

I think I made an entire lifetime of moly filled nylon wear pads. If you see a telescoping
boom crane, chances are I made the ones in it.

Anyhow they way they made thicker ones was to use a planer to set thickness
on the stock. 95 thou would be too small for that but you could try it with
a wood planer maybe.

Jim

You're going to have to suck it down.

Any kind of thin flexible material works best with vaccuum fixturing (magnet for metal). Plastics cut best with EXTREMELY SHARP HSS, like a kinfe edge. I'd try a fly cutter with your own sharpened HSS cutter in it. Never tried to face anything under 1/4" thick. Run the spindle speed as fast as you can without melting it, and try to keep the feed up so the cutter doesn't pass over the same spot a bunch. Keep the chips (it will be more like shavings if the cutter is made right) out of there. They'll get stuck under the cutter and make a smeary finish. Use compressed air to blow them away.

Vacuum is limited, OPTO-ACT fixturing will help.

I am maching MDS nylon 6/6 down to 0.095 remain with facemill, what are method to get smoooth finish and not bending ? I don't know how to spell wolf...
Thanks
Should I try to facemill with coolant on ?

I think that if you will use the OPTO-ACT fixturing system you will get a fine results.
Find it on google as MTS-R&D or OPTO-ACT.

Nylon or Nylatron (MDS filled) can be easily cut. The secret is a 15 degree relief on the tool. Nylon has spring to it. Under pressure it gives way and then returns after the tool goes by. The rubbing creates Heat and melts! The extra relief on the tool allows much higher cutting speeds and can yield glass like finishes.

The first time I did this I was really surprised how nice it cut.

Lay it on a flat support in a vise to keep it from "bouncing." If you use "Juice" while cutting, It can get in between the part and the flat support and act like a shock absorber to dampen the bounce.

Regards,

Stan-

Back