What's new
What's new

Brazing aluminum?

proFeign

Cast Iron
Howdy,

I need to attach aluminum rod to a piece of rounded aluminum sheet. I'm thinking (no TIG available) that if I drill an interference-fit size hole and press the rod into it and then braze it that will give me a relatively strong attachment point, but I don't know if there is an appropriate product for doing this. Neither needs to be T6 or anything afterwards, but adhesives are undesirable in this configuration.

So my question is: can you braze aluminum well enough to bother? And if so what is the best product for doing so that would be available at Home Depot or OSH or a local shop?

I have a MAPP/Propane torch and assume I'll need to buy some type of flux or something and some type of filler rod. Any advice on the best way to do this with parts I can go out and buy locally would be terrific.

Cheers! :cheers:

There are a number of aluminum repair rods that melt with small torch heat and do a decent job for low stress repairs. Usually advertised for home repair on lawn furniture, etc.
The main issue will be the size of the work. The whole trick is getting enough heat into the aluminum before it carries it away from the work area. If parts are small and heat stays put, the results can be pretty nice. The product will have a spec sheet with details. Search the web for "aluminum repair rod" and you will find all kinds of info.

I bought a package of the propane torch aluminum repair rods at a flea market demonstration booth years ago. I had one analyzed by a metallurgist and found it was pure tin.

Fortunately, I have not had much need to repair aluminum. The last time, on two very expensive parts, I just paid a pro to tig them.

Larry

Back