What's new
What's new

De-burring with drill made better

nakedanvil

Aluminum
I was deburring a bunch of holes in the drill press using a countersink. Well, I had a bunch of holes that were 1" and my csk was only 1" so I chucked up a large drill (as I've done countless time before). Just wanting to break the edges a little and hard not to get chatter. Got to thinking about how smooth my one-flute countersink works. So, I rounded off one lip of the drill so that only one lip was cutting. Really worked a treat! Like I said, not earth shattering.

Milacron: sorry for the first one. this better?

The importance of the title of your thread

Useful post -- thanks.

I hope that you will not react negatively to the fact that your first post was killed due to its uninformative title. The moderator's action was taken, I believe, in an effort to keep PM a sharp and efficient info exchange. To me, your second title, which was on target, got me to read your post and to let you know that it was useful. I reacted to your original title as the moderator did. I generally don't spend the time to open and read posts with meaningless (or "clever") titles.

Please keep contributing.

I use drills as countersinks on holes that I can't reach with a regular countersink. Try slowin down the rpm before taking the edge off a good drill. This technique seems to like very slow speeds.

I use drills as countersinks on holes that I can't reach with a regular countersink. Try slowin down the rpm before taking the edge off a good drill. This technique seems to like very slow speeds.

Yes, I do that a lot too and agree it works fine IF you can apply pressure! When all you're trying to do is deburr that is not possible. Been my experience anyway, even at low rpm.

It works fine as long as you are using a machine spindle (it must be rigidly held). Trying it by hand or in a floating vise will of course be a near impossible task (except by your new-found one-lipped drill method perhaps?) I'd just have bought the proper size c'sink, but in a pinch, your method sounds like it worked.

Didn't mean to question your strategy. I'm usually only doing 1 or 2 of the same part at a time. If I had to do 700 holes at a time, then I'd be looking for alternatives. Like butchering up a good drill or buying a bigger countersink.

Better still - find the shortest drill possible, no more than 3 or 4 times the diameter, use it first to spot the hole. Do this at about half or one forth your normal feed to get it started true.

I've already cut off several inches off of a drill to do this since it combines spotting and chamfering into one operation, one less tool.

Dave

I had a flow drill for melting and forming bosses in steel , works great. I tried the trilobe carbide bit as a deburing bit, it did a good job of burnishing down the hole's edge, probably not a cost effective use, but it worked.

Back