What's new
What's new

Indexable endmill question

cj133

Aluminum
Hi all,

This may be a really stupid question but, we're trying out our first indexable endmill and holy loud! :eek:

The one I'm using is an APT Tri-Dex 3/4" single tooth design.

I wish I could find some basic speeds and feeds on such a tool, but I've had no luck. Apparently APT Tri-Dex isn't the brand I should've went with, I don't know. I ordered it from McMaster and being a noob I didn't really know what I was doing.

I'm running 4800 rpm and 20 inches per minute on aluminum sounds scary loud taking an 1/8" bite doing a contour.

I'm using a Prototrak SMX FHM 7 so I max out at 5000 rpm.

It seemed to cut nice and the machine has plenty of power, but it sounded abusive.

Are these style end mills typically loud, or is it how I've got it set up?

Hi all,

This may be a really stupid question but, we're trying out our first indexable endmill and holy loud! :eek:

I wish I could find some basic speeds and feeds on such a tool, but I've had no luck. Apparently APT Tri-Dex isn't the brand I should've went with, I don't know. I ordered it from McMaster and being a noob I didn't really know what I was doing.

I'm running 4800 rpm and 20 inches per minute on aluminum sounds scary loud taking an 1/8" bite doing a contour.

It seemed to cut nice and the machine has plenty of power, but it sounded abusive.

cheap inserts usually cause more problems than money saved

HuFlungDung (your name makes me laugh every time I see it) and DMF_TomB are correct, this is old technology. The single flute paddle style indexable end mill is not free cutting at all, it just bangs into the workpiece and will be loud when cutting. I'd look at a 2 or 3 flute indexable end mill with inserts that have a helix so that it is freer cutting.

If you would like to make your current cutter work for you I'd look at lower your RPM, I'd be at closer to 2,500 RPM and 7.5 IPM (500 SFM and .003" CLPT). It should sound better there.

Mike

Hi all,

Toss that into the trash, and buy something else.
Seriously.
Have reps from Mitsubish, Sandvik, Iscar and other big name brands come in and tell you what you need.
You'll be amazed at what's out there.

AXD Series | MITSUBISHI MATERIALS CORPORATION

TPG inserts just plain suck ass. piss poor for turning , twice as bad for milling . try some APKT /APMT
endmills . much better finish , better insert life , and won't beat the shit out of your spindle bearings .

TPG's are like smallpox.. They have no place in the modern world.

Some TPG cutter bodies will lean the insert back in the pocket, giving you
a slight positive cutting action.. The REALLY SHITTY ones stand it straight
up. From the pics on McM it looks like its standing straight up.. Doesn't
really matter, they both suck.. Speaking from personal experience.

So you are basically just smacking/slamming a featureless piece of carbide
into the side of a piece of metal like a jack hammer, it is going to sound
BAD, really really BAD.. And you don't even have any other teeth in the cut
to stabilize it..

Toss that thing in the garbage and get some solids.. A few 3 flute 1/2" carbide
endmills will cost less than that thing did, and last you literally forever...
Or until you try cutting a vise jaw.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond.

I'm surprised McMaster stocks something that's garbage. Usually the stuff they stock is considered pretty good quality, but I guess that cannot be assumed. I don't doubt what's been said, it does make sense. It's just a flat carbide edge sticking out.

I do have another question though.

The terms APKT APMT and TPG... What do they mean?

Bobw, yeah, I started buying solid carbide mills (until this one) because I've found they seem to cut cleaner, faster. That alone was worth the money in my opinion.

I do have another question though.

The terms APKT APMT and TPG... What do they mean?

Get yourself a catalogue from a tooling manufacturer like Kennametal, Sandvik, Seco, and those will explain the codes. Each letter stands for a characteristic of the insert, so there are several tables of definitions to look at.

When buying any of this stuff always go to the big guys like Iscar, Walther, Sandvik etc.. Why? Because they spend a lot of time and money on R&D and development. BTW, 4800 rpm @ 20 ipm with 1/8" doc in aluminum is child's play just so you know.

When buying any of this stuff always go to the big guys like Iscar, Walther, Sandvik etc.. Why? Because they spend a lot of time and money on R&D and development. BTW, 4800 rpm @ 20 ipm with 1/8" doc in aluminum is child's play just so you know.

I had a feeling.
That's why I couldn't understand why the thing was so loud.

But I've also been using very conservative feeds as I'm still learning and just getting a feel for things.

Sadly, 4800 rpm is about as high as I can go on this machine. It'll do 5000, but displays a warning every time.

Get yourself a catalogue from a tooling manufacturer like Kennametal, Sandvik, Seco, and those will explain the codes. Each letter stands for a characteristic of the insert, so there are several tables of definitions to look at.

I'm on it as we speak.
Thank you for the recommendation.

Back