What's new
What's new

Industrial battery weight by dimensions or type ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
In this case, 32" x 29" x 21" tall. Type 24-85H-15, 24 cells (48 volts). Need to know how much this one weighs. Using search engine on the type I come up with different dimensions, but weight is about 2,500 lbs.

Calculating the other 24-85-15 batteries on the web, I come up with 8lbs per cubic inch and therefore this one should weigh 2,436 lbs. Anyone disagree with that ?

Don, I think that works out to 1/8 lb per cubic inch rather than 8. Probably inverted the top and bottom numbers somewhere in your division.

weight (lbs) divided by volume (cu in) = lb/cu in

Don, I think that works out to 1/8 lb per cubic inch rather than 8. Probably inverted the top and bottom numbers somewhere in your division.

weight (lbs) divided by volume (cu in) = lb/cu in
Yep... I divided 19,488 cu inches by 8 and promptly forgot the end result is 1/8 lb per cubic inch rather than 8....thanks for the correction.

My Deka (East Penn Mfg.) manual shows that size at a wt. of 2335# with a 95 list price of $6366, of course we then had to sell them for about 3750.00 as that's what the market would allow.If you own this battery it should be stamped on the side below the lifting holes.?

Correction to my last post as to weight. The wt. I gave was for the cells only- the wt. with the tray (box) is 2448 #. Looked down wrong column.

My Deka (East Penn Mfg.) .If you own this battery it should be stamped on the side below the lifting holes.?
Right...stamped on the steel is "service weight"...which of course is followed by nothing on this one :rolleyes5:

Industrial battery manuf are such dipwads... on EVERY battery should be stamped. And note I said STAMPED...not on some glued on piece of paper that will fall off.

1. The weight
2. Specific gravity
3. Voltage
4. The exact date of manuf.

No 4 is the most important as one can pretty much figure out the answers to 1-3 on your own. So naturally the date is NEVER stamped anywhere :rolleyes5: Best you can do is find the secret place the serial number is stamped and call the manuf for the date...ridiculous PITA. (not to mention the fact that they could go out of business and even calling wouldn't do any good)

Correction to my last post as to weight. The wt. I gave was for the cells only- the wt. with the tray (box) is 2448 #. Looked down wrong column.
Thanks, neat to see my mathmatical calculations were within 12 lbs.

Back