What's new
What's new

Inexpensive single point thread mill source?

Comatose

Titanium
I've got some parts I need to make a couple of - with oddball very fine threads: 1" 32. The parts are aluminum. I can get a tap and die from mcmaster but that'll cost a couple hundred bucks. I need like three of these parts.

I'm thinking using the single-point style of thread mill, I just can't get over how expensive they are. Again, I'm making -32 threads in aluminum. Solid carbide isn't going to be necessary.

Before I just start grinding on a standard 4-flute end mill, does anyone know of a place I get get, say, one high speed steel or inexpensive carbide single-point thread mill?

Could you take a 10-32 tap and grind all but one set of the teeth off? I think I've seen people mentioning doing that for a quick threadmill job.

That would be pretty inexpensive to try. Of course, thats a pretty small diameter tap so you may not be feeding quickly or deeply.

cheers,
Michael

Scientific Cutting Tools has a great line of fairly inexpensive thread mills in single tooth, staggered tooth, multiple flute straight, and multiple flute helical designs. For your aluminum application, I'd suggest their TM395-32C, in T15 HSS with TiCN coating.

http://www.sct-usa.com/tm4.asp

Hmm, I wonder if we are making the same part ( just kidding). I am doing a job in Alum that I am thread milling 8 holes. It have a 1.0-32 thread. I use a thread mill for a 8-32 thread. Works great. One thread mill lasts me about 5 months. The thread is only .25 deep and the L.O.C on the mill is .3 so I just make one pass and I am done. Using a single would be a pain. Too many circles.

I’ve been pretty happy with onlinecarbide.com stuff for garden variety tools. I have used their tread mills and they do well. Pretty sure they grind their own tools.

Scientific Cutting Tools has a great line of fairly inexpensive thread mills in single tooth, staggered tooth, multiple flute straight, and multiple flute helical designs. For your aluminum application, I'd suggest their TM395-32C, in T15 HSS with TiCN coating.

Page not found – Scientific Cutting Tools, Inc.

SCT single points work well and last. They're are also pocket book friendly. Since you're just doing a few aluminum parts, I would go uncoated carbide.

The problem with using a tap, is you have to add a relief to every single tooth.
A tap is in a spiral, and only relieved on one side of the tooth. A
threadmill is relieved on both sides.

Honestly probably not hard to do on an 8 pitch tap, but on a 32..
That's some tiny little teeth.

Another vote here for an inserted threading bar. SLOW.. But
its a tool you probably already have sitting there.

The solid carbide Micro 100 Bars don't work, you would
have to offset them in the holder somehow.

Back