Scott R is offline Hot Rolled

Default Info On Gator by Fuerda Chucks

Hi
    Anyone here have any first hand knowledge of these chucks? I know it's Chinese. Is it the usual junk or a bit better? I have a SouthBend heavy 10 that I don't use much and when I do I usually use collets. But, It might be nice to have a 3 jaw. I allready have a 4 jaw. This chuck is around $300 and a Bison is near $600. I hate to buy junk but my use might not justify the higher priced chuck.

Scott

ChuckDog is offline Plastic

This is a late reply to your question. Gator is new to the US market but the manufacturer has been producing chucks for over 30 years. Gator is produced to a DIN/ANSI standard (like Bison) and the quality is excellent. If you put the Gator and Bison side by side you can't tell the difference and you'll find the same once the chuck is installed. One big difference, Gator offers a two year warranty on steel body scroll chucks while Bison offers only a one year warranty.

Williz is offline Plastic

I use fuerda chucks for many years and they are excellent.

Panza is offline Cast Iron

I just received a 10" 4-jaw and it is NOT good quality. It is on par with the other chinese chucks, NO better. I have even seen better quality chinese chucks.
    - The threads are not cleaned out/up.
    - The chuck is full of dirt. Not sure what it is but it seems like it wasn't cleaned up properly after machining.
    - It seems to work, but we'll see when it is put to some heavy work..

For the future I will buy something more expensive, not made in C.... Probably Bison.

310 Guy is offline Cast Iron

I bought a Fuerda 10" 4-jaw, D1-4 for my Graziano SAG 12 about a year ago. It came out of the box looking well-made, clean, threads lubricated with white grease. Operates smoothly. I like it. Now, if only 4-jaw chucks came with TWO chuck wrenches (how I was taught to center the work...)

BigDel is offline Aluminum

Bison Chuck is, I believe, in the hands of the Polish Government. It was at one time owned by a Polish expatriate from Italy, however he failed to make payments and it has returned to the banks and is heavily government subsidized. No one wants to buy it as it is all unionized up, (thirteen different unions?) and the equipment is old. Toolmex owns a minority share I believe. It will be interesting to see what happens to this Brand over the next few years as their is some doubt if they can overcome their antiquated manufacturing facilities, or if they will go the way of Cushman?