What's new
What's new

Suggestions for a smaller mill.

Miguels244

Diamond
I would like to find a mill smaller than a Bridgeport, not a table top but a small, solid machine.
Which used mills should I be looking for?

The answer may depend a bit on why you want the smaller form factor.

If it's just being a bit cramped on floor space, the best answer is to make some more floor space and get a Bridgeport-type. Even a couple thousand spend to bump out a wall or clear something out will likely save more than trying to get a smaller and less capable alternative. Even that Bridgeport is a toy in the minds of some; but it's hard to beat for all-around use.

If that extra floor space proves difficult or expensive to get, then the options include a Bridgeport with a short table, a Millrite, Clausing, Rockwell, and various import 2/3rds size machines. I've seen sturdy Taiwanese vertical/horizontal mills (maybe 30 taper) with about the same footprint as a Millrite and their owners seemed to like them.

If you don't need much of a work envelope then the small sized entries in the Deckel, Maho, Aciera . . . forum would seem ideal.

I've owned and used several of the small alternatives suggested above and can comment. The Versa-Mill is a very cool complement to a lathe. It's great for milling spur gears, small details on a shaft, etc. The attachments are good for internal and external grinding, limited spline shaping, etc. Detached it can be moved to massive equipment and do something like mill a keyway. But it's not all that good a general purpose mill. Even a small round column mill drill might be better for squaring blocks, clearing pockets, drilling and tapping, etc.

The larger square column mill drill has close to the envelope of the shortest table Bridgeport and can do semi-serious work for a hobbyist. Its form factor make sense when it's not just square feet but cubic feet of space that are in short supply; since something like a Lista cabinet can fit under it with proper bracing added for the mill. They're not especially accurate and not designed to last in any sort of production. But at 800# or so easy to move.

The Hardinge TM and UM horizontal mills (often equipped with a vertical head) are sturdy little guys and can be pushed a bit harder than, say, a Clausing 2/3rd size mill. These are only around 800# but cut like they're a bit heavier. However, they have limited travels and are probably best suited to horizontal work. One might be a nice complement to a small vertical mill, if you can find two cubbyholes. There are at least a few folks on this forum, though, who've gotten comfortable enough with these to use them for most everything.

Definitely a Millrite. It has pretty good rigidity and has a excellent amount of spindle to table clearance not found on a lot of small mills. If you use a dividing head or rotary table at the same time you are using a drill chuck you will see how important spindle to table clearance is..... They come in both R8 and B&S #9. While R8 is nice as tooling is so common, I would not run away from a B&S#9 as it has slightly larger capacity than R8 and you can get tooling relatively easily.

How small is small? Is it smaller than the large Bridgeport or smaller than the small Bridgeport? Rusnok (spelling) or Cluasing made a small mill.
Tom

The small Hardinge horizontal can be combined with a BP M head - you'd be limited to 1/2" maximum collets and lower HP, but it would be a very nice combination of horizontal and vertical milling machine

I have the LITTLE Hardinge BBV2 and the BBV4 both made in the 1930s and for what I do (small precision second op parts) they work well.If you have the money a Swiss machine is the way to go.
Both the Vertical BBV2 and Horizontal BBV4 are some what hard to find and expect to pay from $500 up for something that probably needs some work.They'er also 220 3 phase but you can convert them easy enough.
The collets for the BBV2 are very hard to find and a set could cost you more than the machine.Someone has a BBV2 on the bay for sale $2500 Yikes! but with best offer.

Go to this site, and look under "Milling Machines & Jig Borers"

Lathes

As mentioned by others, there are a ton of very high quality euro machines that would fit your requirements, if you keep your eyes open and can afford to travel a bit to find one. Deckel FP1 or FP2 Deckel FP1 Milling Machines , Aciera, Abene, Fehlmann Page Title are just a few starter names. In the USA, Clausing Clausing Milling Machines & Rockwell are lighter, but capable mills.

I would stay away from Hardinge, they don't have quills unless you find one with a BP M3 head.

South Bend made some good mills that are BP size, but often show up with only 30" tables. or 30" table BP.

Lots of people do astounding work with small asian imports, but Milacron forbids discussion here. Paula, moderator of the South Bend forum uses a square column asian import and demonstrates some nice work on it, if you want to search the SB archives.

Edited: Looks like some people type faster than me. :)

smt

If you have a requirement for a quill that limits the selection. Neither the Aciera F1 or F2 normally have a quill, and they tend to me some what available. For the Aciera F3 you need the high speed vertical head, the regular vertical head also does not have a quill. I'm not sure about the options on an FP1. As said above, the Hardinge doesn't either.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Van Norman. I've never used one, but they have been discussed here in the past, in in pictures look like a skinny Bridgeport.

Dennis

Back