Karl_Kunkle is offline Aluminum

Default inside micrometer solid rod vs tubular

I am shopping for a new inside micrometer. I am looking for something in the 1.5 to 12 inch range.

What are the pro and con of the tubular mics vs solid rod mic? I generally work with pipe, tubing, and small engines.

Thanks in advance?

karl

hickstick_10 is offline Stainless

Its going to be a personal thing for you. Myself I prefer the rod mics, I think my rod set goes up to 32 or 36 inches, and I have no complaints. I just can't get the tube mikes to grow on me until you passed 3-4 feet.

I dont know if the rods are easier to "feel" with or it they're just a little less bulky, but I never use the tubes unless I have no choice. The tubes are supposed to be more rigid for larger diameter bores, which you are not working with. So if I were in your shoes I would not waste the money on a set of tube mics.

Only thing I will add is do NOT get the newer mitutoyo rod mics, last set I bought no longer used the collets to tighten up on the threads, but rather a "hydraulic lock" which means the inside of the mic basically has tar or sticky grease on the inside to gum things up to stiffen the thimble. I traded them for the Moore and Wright little tiny .5 to 2 inch set and bought the bigger 2-32 inch set from starret and it has served me well for years.

I also find the tube mics are cumbersom to assemble, the ones I've used you have to constantly screw and unscrew various tubes to get to a length. With the rods, you turn one screw and drop in the rod with a spacing collar if you need it and tighten the screw again.

Just one mans opinion.

smalltime is online now Stainless

Starrett tubular is the way to go. Keep 'em clean and they actually repeat.

diemaker85 is offline Plastic

I have 2 sets of rods and 1 set of tubes I like the tubes but I use them both just personal pref man.