What's new
What's new

Insize dial calipers

Had a buyer, who took it upon himself to purchase some insize micrometers to replace Starrett ones...

He was "saving money"...

We kept them and bought Starrett. I've never used them...

I do however have a coworker who uses the crap out of them with no complaints.....

We have several pairs of the 6" digitals and if hand feel isn't important to you then they're decent. No coolant protection and if you drop them they're done for but the same goes for regular mits and Starrett too.

You wouldn't find a pair in my box though.

We also tried to "save money". We bought a bunch of 0-1 micrometers from In-size. The guys broke them all the time. We switched back to Mitutoyo. It was cheaper in the long term.

I got tired of the peons breaking the calipers so I swapped every broken set for a vernier. Since the vernier has 1 moving part, it's hard to screw it up.

But ... but ... but their ad says they are shockproof. Not shock resistant, but shock PROOF. Are you saying that they lie?

Seriously, I am not impressed.

We also tried to "save money". We bought a bunch of 0-1 micrometers from In-size. The guys broke them all the time. We switched back to Mitutoyo. It was cheaper in the long term.

I have always supplied verniers for our 24in or larger calipers and all the shop guys think it's because I am a cheap ass but as stated above they are as close to bullet proof as it gets. Opening and closing a set of 12 or 24 in dial calipers is hard on them and they are big enough that they usually end up sitting in a less than ideal place waiting to get dropped or full of junk.

Dial calipers from any vendor are junk. Even mitutoyo and starrett. I don't know why people still buy them and I don't know why manufacturers still make them - the real high end ones don't.

A few years ago I had to quickly buy cheap calipers to use where I didn't have my standard caliper in hand.
I choose the Insize. It's much more than the cheap Chinese garbage but less than decent calipers from Mitutoyo or TESA.

I don't like the way it feels/moves in the hand. IMHO the Mitutoyo Digimatic is the most cost-effective tool. I keep the Insize at home for occasional situations. every time I use it I think- how much I like the Mitutoyo.

I also have machinist square from Insize, it a nice quality tool.

By the way- do you call the single tool a caliper or calipers?

insize work fine. Just don't drop them, keep them clean.

I have had a set in the past but they took a tumble and were ruined.

Boss has an 8" set and a 12" set that have done their job for many years. They just have to be respected more than a mitutoyo does.

Regards,
Alonzo

I use them all the time....and if you do drop them they do replace them no questions asked within a year of purchase. Insize was started by an engineer who used to work at Starrett. I find them to be just as good as some of the Mititoyos....

Are you sure about this^? The InSize tools are priced like, and IMO built like, any Chinese caliper commissioned by 'brands' with slightly higher QC requirements. (STM, Asimeto, Sowa, KBC etc.)

Back