What's new
What's new

Interesting adaptation of Cincinnati (?) dividing head to K&T mill

Cannonmn

Stainless
Michael Goleman posted these pix on the K&T Milwaukee Yahoo Group under "...Southern Engineering" Well, that it is, a double-jointed spline drive as shown to make up for the axial misalignment. I'd love to do that since I have the same type dividing head and a K&T 2CH vertical mill which is similar to that in the photos but unfortunately mine lacks the PTO head Mike's has on the right end of the table. I don't recall reading of any restrictions on borrowing photos from the group as long as credit was given.

img_1225.jpg

img_1226.jpg

Last edited:
I expect very few "PTO" boxes were sold with vertical mills - for the simple reason is that they are poorly suited for spiral or helical milling - which is the reason fro driving a DH in the first place

I wonder how much error - I assume at least some?? - is introduced by the action of the two universal joints?

If they are in phase and the shafts are parallel, and they look that way in the photo, they theoretically cancel out each other.

I expect very few "PTO" boxes were sold with vertical mills - for the simple reason is that they are poorly suited for spiral or helical milling - which is the reason fro driving a DH in the first place

Thanks, now I'll probably get over my helical-deficiency syndrome-the K&T advertising I've seen led me to believe their vertical mills would do that stuff as well as anything. I won't go out of my way to buy a K&T dividing head for my 2D rotary-head mill either, let alone everyone seems to want a fortune for them. I use the PTO head on the 2D for driving the rotary table. The spline shaft was missing but with some tips from this board I found a source of standard commercial 6-tooth shaft and got their minimum length of 36" for I think $75. Incl shipping. My rotary table has been rotating by itself since then. Facing a 6" steel disc with shell mill and rotary table - YouTube. I noticed the mill pictured at top of the thread has a hinged door presumably so you can change gears in the Drive head; on the 2D vertical the speed is changed by change levers.

Last edited:

Back