What's new
What's new

What kind of compressor is this?

mverschu

Plastic
I just picked up this compressor the other day but have no idea what the make is. it has a 16" dia flywheel, and part numbers stamped all over it. The main housing has T34442 cast into it. The logo on it looks like either 2 "X"'s side by side or a "W" with it's mirror image underneath sort of like this: XX.
on the top I see a staming with T30 , 77G.
I don't know how to upload pics.
Any help would be great, Thanks
Matt

Matt,

Uploading a pic is as easy as pie. Do you at least have the ability to get photos loaded onto your computer? Let us know and we'll go from there...

Mike

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]Thanks for the replies guys. I think I might have figured out how to attach. The link wasn't working last night. see if this works.

Attachments

• HPIM3016.jpg
    HPIM3016.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 616
  • HPIM3019.jpg
    HPIM3019.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 465
Cool it worked. I have more pics if needed. There are part numbers on every component all starting with a T. The outside of the casting at the base of the cylinder has the number 5 cast into it. (probably to do with the size)

I also picked up this Curtis pump for $10. Anybody know what model this is?
Thanks guys
[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• HPIM3012.jpg
    HPIM3012.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 532
I would think the Curtis is very old. air inlets into the crankcase, so ports in the cylinders and only outlet valves in the head. No inlet valves, or maybe just a check valve under each breather. An interesting design.

I hope you find out more about these two and post the results for us.

The logo is in the picture on the top of the compressor. it is the "XX" but it has a line in between them joining the intersections of the X's.
would it be a worthington then?
Thanks for the help.
Matt

I think the Curtis compressor was built as a refrigeration compressor.Several clues.1) Very minimal finning-as a refrige comp the cooling is mainly from the returned refrigerant. 2) very robust construction-look at the main bearing area-refrig compressors are designed to run 24/7 for a long time. 3) crankcase induction is common on refrig comp as some lubricant passed through can be dropped out in the crankcase when returned,therefore not needing lube check and replenish except when the system has been opened/repaired-also enhances cooling of the comp.The pictured breathers have been added as they would be of insufficient size to feed a working air compressor.
On the plus side ,a heavily built compressor like this used in air service would last forever but the cooling inadequacy would have to be addressed.
On the minus side this comp would be considerably heavier and more bulky than an equivalent "air compressor".
Just my two cents worth.

That first compressor just might be an old Westinghouse. I think they used the XX symbol on some of the parts. Most Westinghouse compressors were V type 2 cylinder, but they did make some single cylinder in the early days.

Heres a Westinghouse:

11437-A.jpg

11437-B.jpg

Yep, that Westinghouse is identical to the blue one I have. Thanks Grandtools. It actually works very well. It only turns at 377 rpm though. s that too slow? Worried about proper oiling.

Enginenut2, thanks for the reply. I think you are right about the Curtis pump. It makes sense for sure. The inlet valves are in the pistons, so it is just sucking up air from the crankcase.
It doesn't seem to move any air when I turn it over by hand like the westinghouse or the webster I have. Would that be normal for this pump? I'm guessing it has to turn fairly fast for the piston valves to operate? There are no springs at all on the piston valves. The refigeration cycle although on the suction side would still be more than atmospheric pressure so maybe the valves (steel discs) won't work well with no inlet pressure?

Thanks guys

Back