What's new
What's new

linear motion in high cycle production environment (chips, coolant, etc)

snowman

Diamond
I need a long service life linear motion solution for high part cycle, filthy environment. Cycle quantities in the millions / year.

Actuator will be pneumatic, and while one of the options with two linear bearings / and a centered cylinder would be the cats ass for this situation, the cost at $350 is too great.

Actually, the purchase cost isn't bad, it's the replacement cost as I expect to be wearing these out.

So going back to basics with a $40 off the shelf cylinder, I am left looking at linear motion/guide options.

Precision is not necessary, only enough to keep it from binding.

Lateral load is small, really not much more than the weight of the rods themselves, and torque is pretty small as well. I could probably get reasonable life with simply hardened linear shafting rod and a long bronze bushing, but, I'm curious if there are better options out there.

That’s a whole lot of vague.
Stroke, force, rotating or not, air available, speed, vertical horizontal, rod lock, metric inch, nature of coolant double acting, spring return, ease of access, are you willing to rebuild.
No magic solutions.
For my money, Festo builds the best.

How about a guide system that hardened shafting and commonly available plastic bushings (whatever Mcmaster Carr sells), they are pretty cheap and last well in dirty environments. Nothing could be easier to rebuild.

Igus, there stuff rocks in thoes kinda shit enviroments, in the place were linear guide ways fill with crud and fail they just keep on going, its bloody unreal stuff, its cheap too and the bearing elements are easily replacable too. No lube issues either as there self lubing and the right grades realy have solved some problems for me and my customers were standard greased fittings - rails failed faster than anyone would believe.

Igus, there stuff rocks in thoes kinda shit enviroments, in the place were linear guide ways fill with crud and fail they just keep on going, its bloody unreal stuff, its cheap too and the bearing elements are easily replacable too. No lube issues either as there self lubing and the right grades realy have solved some problems for me and my customers were standard greased fittings - rails failed faster than anyone would believe.

Yeah, a quick quote shows pretty reasonable pricing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s a whole lot of vague.
Stroke, force, rotating or not, air available, speed, vertical horizontal, rod lock, metric inch, nature of coolant double acting, spring return, ease of access, are you willing to rebuild.
No magic solutions.
For my money, Festo builds the best.

Stroke =10" in minimal footprint

Force = probably 1" - 1 1/2" diameter, but mostly for robustness and aspect ration...adequate force and speed could be acquired with 1/2" bore

Non rotating

Pneumatic

Water soluble coolant

Slight incline

Not necessarily fast, 5 second full cycle

Easy to access

Part replace, yes, seals, cant imagine its cost effective on a 1" cylinder

Perfect example

But not the actual use. You're being cagey. ;)

If it is constantly coated with coolant that would make polymer bushings on hard rail a good choice. If it's interrupted so that sometime the coolant dries I'd worry about stickiness allowing a buildup of metal fines on the rails and bushings which would abrade them, therefore I'd want more protections for the moving surfaces.

Stroke =10" in minimal footprint

Force = probably 1" - 1 1/2" diameter, but mostly for robustness and aspect ration...adequate force and speed could be acquired with 1/2" bore

Non rotating

Pneumatic

Water soluble coolant

Slight incline

Not necessarily fast, 5 second full cycle

Easy to access

Part replace, yes, seals, cant imagine its cost effective on a 1" cylinder

Festo stainless guided cyl.
Good for 10,000 km.
Get the extra seal.
Rebuild is 100