What's new
What's new

Precise die grinder, unusual configuration?

jmp

Cast Iron
I picked up this nifty little Precise horizontal drill recently and have a few questions. Is Precise still in business? I'd like to find out about the collet type (probably proprietary and a $zillion each:eek:) Can't find anything by googleing it. Also, this thing has a top speed of 45,000 rpm. What type of bearings might it use? Sounds like a dentist drill winding up and you can feel nearly NO vibration when running throughout the rpm range.
CIMG0998.jpg

CIMG1001.jpg

CIMG1000.jpg

That motor, including it's collet nut, looks nearly identical to the ones used on some circuit board de-tabbers we have at work. I believe the only collets we have are 1/4" ID.
I'll try to remember to look tomorrow.

Yep, Precise is still around. Now Fischer-Precise.

http://www.fischerprecise.com/

I have one of their 70 series spindles I plan to use for some milling. Only thing is I only have a 5/16" collet. New collets are available for our spindles at about $205 each. I plan on making my own by modifying ER-16 collets.

They only make brushless designs now though. They can rebuild your spindle as well. The bearings are sealed for life ABEC-7 or 9.

The spindle itself can be used for grinding, milling, and drilling.

Like doug said, the first time you use it after it has been sitting you need to go through a run in procedure that slowly brings up the speed over a half hour or so. This allows the grease to soften and flow to where it needs to be.

Jmp,
I have a similar grinder head 65 series. As mentioned everything for them is expensive. The bearings at least for the above are specially made in Germany for Precise and one can not buy directly, or from anywhere else, IIRC about $1500. The drive spindle is a friction fit into the drive motor output shaft, all very close tolerance and finely balanced as you have noted. Mine was on a cylindrical grinder for internal work and an overhaul estimate for the above at Precise was in excess of $3000 IIRC, needless to say I didn't get it done, so I have some spare parts now.

I sold this jig grinding attachment just now
It was a combination of a Iso 40 din 2080 taper a Wohlhaupter boring head and a Precise die grinder incl. some tooling
Peter

11947073540.jpg

Thanks everyone for the info. I had a bad feeling about the collets:(. But that can be overcome with a little effort. Looks like this one has seen a lot of circuitboard work. The entire cavity of the main casting was packed tight with what I thought at first to be some kind of hardened foam. After picking at it I realized it was circuitboard dust, and in that packed dust was a handfull of tiny toggle switch bodies here and there like little fossils:). This thing has seen a lot of use but everything moves smoothly and the motor/spindle is smooth as silk. Now I just need to find a use for it. peterve, that jig grinder is a work of art.

Back