What's new
What's new

Introduction from the U.P. of Michigan

J Richardson

Plastic
Hi,

After lurking for the better part of two years, I figure it's time to post. My name is John Richardson, and I live in Negaunee, MI. Currently I am employed as a millwright, working the local paper mills, power plants and iron mines, but I always have been and always will be a heavy equipment mechanic. Can't deny your past, I guess.
Machining is always something I've wanted to do, and I began shopping for machines about five years ago. The current arsenal includes an Atlas 618, a 4901 Clausing, a Sieg X3, and a Rockwell vertical with DRO, etc. I soon learned the limits of the Atlas, and purchased the Clausing. The X3 is still in use, as the Rockwell is in storage with my welders and other non machine related tooling until I can dismantle it and bring it into our very small basement.
I have no machining experience at all, and the local schools have discontinued their programs years ago. Although I have always been a quick learner, I am having trouble with a lot of the basics. I've got an Upshur vertical engine partially complete, and am starting to use my 4901 a bit more. I believe that a lot of my issues have to do with the cheap tooling I purchased, ie Chinese boring bars, etc.
If anyone in the area is interested in meeting up, please let me know. I have a few questions to ask already, but will save those for a bit later.

Thanks,

John

Hi John and welcome aboard you say
Hi,
Currently I am employed as a millwright, working the local paper mills, power plants and iron mines, John
I also work the paper mills my last job was the cluster press change three 40ton rolles out and back in, 10 hrs all in, worked our b******s off.
ask me anything I will do my best
I'll keep a look out for you
Kevin
ps I'm of to bed its 0033 hrs

J Richardson:

My great grandparents from Germany settled in Negaunee in the late 1850s. Unfortunately my great grandfather failed to buy the farm which later became the Moss mine. Instead he bought the property on the Carp river where iron ore had previously been first smelted. No significant ore was found there. That property is now a park. From my memory a long time ago there was a marker by the river where the first smelting was done.

Sorry to hear about the schools and shop courses. This is happening in most places. About 1900 Negaunee was considered to have had one of the best school systems in the state.

When my dad was a young boy they could go close to the mine shafts and watch the machinery. Also the rail track ran right thru downtown. In those days much of what was made was local. Butcher shops, bakeries, blacksmiths, and so on. Thus, young people were closely exposed to how things were done. Deer hunting was a prime source of winter food. My dad's uncle owned the hardware store, livery stable, and the furniture store. So these were all part of his experience.

When I was young and my dad took me to see the mine shafts we were not allowed to get at all close. Quite a difference.

I wish you good luck in finding others with similar interests in the area.

I have a barber that plays a button box. He comes up to your neighborhood for deer hunting, playing in various bands, etc etc. Did I say he never drinks when playing in these bands. I am taking this thread to him just for giggles. Same hometown.
Regards Walt..

Hello John,
Greetings from down south. Glad to have you here.

Had a friend from Ishpeming years ago. He once asked me "Why you no hello me when you know me so well?"

I have no idea what he meant. I just smiled and nodded anyway.

When asked what he thought of the rednecks down here he replied "Ya people got noothin on the fookin necks in UP Mishghen".

Good luck to you and yours,
Curtis

Hi John,
A big welcome from one of the trolls that live beneath the bridge. :)

I have just one question for you. How much snow have ya got?
A weekend trip of sleddin and shooting the bull about machines sounds like heaven to me. :D

Bob

Hi John- glad to hear from someone who is almost a neighbor; I have a camp in SW Marquette Co., near Horseshoe Lake. While that alone doesn't make me a Yooper, it gets me a nickname so I can go to town, Eh? Yup, still reffered to by locals as a "trunk slammer".

Glad to see you post. I have a son and grandchildren in the Houghton/Hancock area and sister-in-law in Marq.

Anyway, I will be glad to help/answer questions anyway I can; PM me. If you have a digital camera, the guys/gals here will be happy to respond.

I'm at camp in the spring (until the bugs come), some summer and most of the fall chasing grouse until the snow comes.

Stopping around will not be a problem on our weekly grocery run to the IGA in Ishpeming.-Jerald (Clio, near Fliint/Frankenmuth/Birch Run)

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome. To answer a few questions to those who responded. Ispheming is roughly 3 miles from Negaunee, and can be thought of as "sister cities", if they can be called cities at all. As far as snow, we really got hammered last week, and certainly have a few feet on the ground, although yesterday's and today's warm spell are putting a dent in it.
The weather here has been as inconsistent as the rest of the country. And as for Horseshoe Lake, I'm out there several times a year, as a friends parents live there full time. Let me know the next time you're up.

Anyhow, I start a 10 day stretch at the Empire Mine on Monday, working on the balling drums, and then will be back on the roof at the Tilden Mine after that. It can get pretty cold up there in the winter. I believe they offer tours in the summer, if anyone gets up this way then. If you've never been in a mine you may find it interesting.

Take care, and thanks again.

John

Back