What's new
What's new

Johansson Drill Geared Head Radial Drill Press 7HP Manual/Electrical Diagram Needed

Decap

Plastic
I"m looking for any kind of literature I can get on the 7400 model / 73505 SN machine but since its an old drill (1970's iirc) the literature is either not on the internet or hidden so far down a rabbit hole I would end up in wonderland.

I have already seen the top link in google, the one that is a pdf for Johansson Drill Press. That particular manual is rather disorganized and doesn't have an electrical diagram for the 7hp model. Really I just need the electrical diagram so that I can see if we can run a 115 motor off this monster of a machine. Plus it would help if the coolant pump actually turned on when I turn the button.

Any links/manual offers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Decap,

I check out our Johansson and it's a 3HP model. I looked around for the manual but couldn't find it in the file cabinet, so it's not like I could help you anyway. Sorry.

I"m looking for any kind of literature I can get on the 7400 model / 73505 SN machine but since its an old drill (1970's iirc) the literature is either not on the internet or hidden so far down a rabbit hole I would end up in wonderland.

I have already seen the top link in google, the one that is a pdf for Johansson Drill Press. That particular manual is rather disorganized and doesn't have an electrical diagram for the 7hp model. Really I just need the electrical diagram so that I can see if we can run a 115 motor off this monster of a machine. Plus it would help if the coolant pump actually turned on when I turn the button.

Any links/manual offers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

My late '40's / early '50's Alzmetall is OFFICIALLY down some closed-over 'rabbit hole' as-at 50+ years of age. Can't say as i really blame the maker for that - they have lots of newer ones to look after.

That said, @ 7.5 HP, 220-240 3-P, I suspect the challenge is similar to yours.

Presuming you have - or will - wire for nominal 240 3-P, the bizness as to running single-phase coolant pump or other motor is not dictated by the drill press's own wiring as much as it is by what sort of 3-Phase you have brought to it.

Any of utility mains, gen-set, RPC, Phase Perfect will give you 240 V, nominal, leg-to-leg for supplementary single-phase pumps or motors. It is wise that the 'generated' leg - if there is such - not be one of those used.

A 208 VAC 3-Phase Wye feed will have 120 VAC, any leg to neutral. A 240 VAC 3-Phase Wye 133 VAC to Neutral

An RPC has one generated leg, the other two pass-though from mains which are 120-0-120, AKA 240 VAC single-phase center-tapped to Neutral.

Either NON-generated leg should still be 120 VAC off the neutral, but... I'd personally rather avoid that use, and go with 240 VAC goods, whether single-phase OR 3-Phase.

Because.. I also have a Phase-Perfect with a "Delta" output.

No neutral unless I add about $400 at used prices worth of Delta-Wye transformer to re-derive a neutral. Ergo no 120 V there.

Bottom line is that availability of 240 VAC 1-P is assured, but availability of 120 Single-phase is only a 'maybe'.
Best to avoid the need, use 240 VAC Single-Phase goods, ELSE just run a cord from a 120 VAC 1-P outlet.

Regardless of how powered, tracing wiring, switch, any relay or low-level float cut-off for the coolant pump, failed motor or wiring on/in it, is 'white bread'. Wiring diagram is 'nice to have', but this is not a Class 5 telco switch with 100,000 customers on it.

Pull leads to the pump, test it with direct feed. If it runs, go trace-out and fix the fault. If not, replace it.

Back