What's new
What's new

Kalamazoo Band Saw H12B S/N 652 Problem Lowering Head

neophyte101

Plastic
We are currently resurrecting a small manufacturing shop in S. Georgia. It had been closed for about ten years. It is covered but not enclosed, and nothing was done at closing to the numerous machines. Things are going well with most of the machines, but the Kalamazoo H12B's head seems to be stuck in the up position. It was down when we started with it, but immediately upon starting the hydraulic pump it went right up, and has stayed there. The hydraulic system is working well with the vice, the blade tensioner, etc. The blade motor is fine. But the head stays up when you turn the SAW valve (in fact if it has leaked down about 1/8 of an inch over the weekend, it will immediately go all the way up when the valve is turned to SAW. Any one with experience or ideas that might be able to give me a lead would be greatly appreciated. I've tried everything I can think of, and the current techs at Clausing Kalamazoo are not very experienced with this model and were not able to help.

Sounds like the solenoid valve that controls the hydraulic flow to the head lift cylinder isn't working right. Could be that the spool inside the valve is stuck, or the solenoid isn't being energized to change the direction of flow. Also, is there a valve that controls the downfeed force of the head? If there is, is it completely closed and not allowing any oil to flow past it? A picture of the controls would help.

Sounds like the solenoid valve that controls the hydraulic flow to the head lift cylinder isn't working right. Could be that the spool inside the valve is stuck, or the solenoid isn't being energized to change the direction of flow. Also, is there a valve that controls the downfeed force of the head? If there is, is it completely closed and not allowing any oil to flow past it? A picture of the controls would help.

Thanks, Homestead,

I got the head to go down by cracking a line and letting the oil drain out of the cylinder. I cracked the line from the bottom of the head raising/lowering cylinder that goes to a tee that goes to the feed valve, and also to a check valve before running up to a control device that has a mechanical rod rubbing on a cam that is attached to the head pivot pin. I don't yet understand how the head movement speed and pressure is regulated hydraulically. I don't no how to upload photos, but pictures of the cylinder, valves, piping, controls and an electrical box. I could email them.

I'll send you my email address via private message on here, and maybe I can be of better help if I can see how it's all plumbed.

I just bought the same saw. I'm supposed to get the manuals with it when I pick it up this week.

When I google this model saw there are a couple past threads on this site that mention this issue. One guy says it's normal and you just have to know how to run the saw, but he doesn't share how to run it.

Just picked up my H12B and I did get the original manuals and sales brochures for it from 1965.

I didn't realize how big this thing was when I bid on it. 20x14 is a big saw! My old saw is 3/4 HP this thing is 7.5 HP.

I scraped some crud off since it has sat since 2006, matched up all the hydraulic lines for the feed table and plugged it in. Burped some air from the pump outlet to get it to prime and it works perfect. At first, setting the feed length seemed tricky then we figured out the rear roller is also the stop for the feed return. Dialed the stop to a size, dropped in a bar and with the levers in auto the saw cut the perfect length parts.

Just for future reference these saws are entirely hydraulic logic. The only electrical runs the pump and the blade motor.

So far, I like it. Dirt simple and seems to work well.

Back