What's new
What's new

Kansas City scraping class Anyone interested

vettebob

Cast Iron
I'm hosting one of Richard Kings scraping classes. It will be between Sept and the first part of Nov. It will be 3 Days with a cost between $750-$800. My shop is climate controlled and you are welcome to bring a small project with you. If You don't have a project I have a Bridgeport, a Monarch 10EE and a couple of Chineese pieces of equipment that we can use for the class. When not in class you're welcome to bring your fishing pole and fish in the back yard. Bob

If you give me your rough availability I'll combine yours with other People's and go with the majority. I was thinking of a Friday-Sunday class to minimize people's off work time, but I am open to suggestions. Bob

After the class I am heading over to my cabin on Lake of the Ozarks about 90 miles from Bob's place. If you want to come and fish, you can launch your boat and tie up to my dock. The wife and I plan on retiring down there in a few years. No more ice fishing for me up here in MN. You can catch pan fish, Cat Fish, Bass and I have even caught Walleyes in the lake. :-) Rich

How about we Get narrow down the dates a little Richard said He is available in October. There are 5 people interested so far and only need 6 for a class. Can everyone send me their e-mail and their availability and we can make this class happen. Bob

Still looking for a couple more people for the October Kansas City scraping class. Richard not only teaches scraping he also teaches how to properly align ways, check for wear, and many other things. He guarantees it will be 3 days packed full of useful instruction. Everyone should have a great time. Bob

Here are the Class Dates October 24, 25 and 26th with a possible extra day on the 27th of October. If anyone is interested and did not get an e-mail from me please pm me with your e-mail there are only 8 slots total for this class. Thanks Bob
here's a few pics of the Kalamazoo class that just finished
DSC02183[1].jpgDSC02185[1].jpgDSC02189[1].jpgDSC02190[1].jpgDSC02192[1].jpg

I am really looking forward to teaching another class. I will be retiring I think with-in 5 years, so if you want to come to a class this year this will probably be the last one unless we can get the Vancouver Class organized by November..

The August class in Norway is full I am told by the Hosts, Jan and Paul and the Swedish class the next week has room for 2 or 3 more. This should be a great trip as I am looking forward to sight-seeing. Here in Minnesota there is a Viking relic called the Kensington Runestone that in recent tests they claim is real. I have always been a history buff and want to visit the homeland of the Vikings. My wife attended St. Olaf University and she toured Norway and she said the fjords are beautiful. I met Jan a year ago when he traveled to attend the Georgia Class. He as many of my students make me proud to call them part of my scraping family.

If you can't make it, how about hosting a class in your area. We are thinking of doing a class up in Flint MI next spring, One in Berkeley CA next spring, I wish we cold do one in The NE sometime and Florida or someplace warm in January - March next winter...ha ha.

Remember the hosts don't pay and we have held the classes in 3 car garages and small shops. The classes are first signed up first served. I am cutting off registration for this class as of 9/1/214. PM me or write vettebob. Rich

Last edited:
This class is also going to take place as we have enough people signed up, but have room for 1 or 2 more. Please let Bob or I know so we can send you a info email.
Those who say they are coming, if you have not already sent your deposit please do so now.
Have any questions? Also if you are in another part of the country or outside the country and want to learn how to Rebuild your machines, contact me. Rich

I bought a 24x36 surface plate for the class. Bob

Bob and I talked on the phone yesterday and we have 3 guys now who have paid their deposit and all 3 want to attend an extra day. One plans on bring the column or table off his Bridgeport Mill which will be a great learning project for all. Bob wants to Moglice the saddle off his Monarch EE lathe. Bob's shop is his walk-out 2 car garage, so there isn't much room. Bob was thinking seeing the class won't take place until October some might be holding off on signing up. So if this is an issue I will accept a $200.00 deposit to reserve your spot and the balance of the deposit (200.00) is due by August 15, 2014 with the balance due the first day of the class . If you want to come send a partial deposit. We will work with you. I will be doing this class as I have to drive thru Blue Springs as it is on the way to my lake cabin and I need to turn off the water before winter. PM vettebob or I and we will get in touch. Rich

Bob,

I have been trying to make it to one of Richards classes for a couple of years. Every time I think I can make it and put my name in the hat, I get some project at work that blows it up. I am half gun shy about even posting in this thread. I have a meeting tomorrow and hopefully I will have a better feel for my schedule in the next couple of days. I want to come to your class, but I can't commit to it just yet. If I can make it, I am in for an extra day as well.

I'll be in touch as soon as I know.

Tom

I would love to attend.

A few questions - what would one need to bring to such a class. I don't have any of my own scraping tools yet - I was hoping to get recommendations from an old hand as to what works and what to avoid like plague. Most the tool & die guys I came up with would rough fit with files, riflers and some stoning prior to heat treat then grind and lap to final fit. Scraping when used was mainly intended for lube retention. That works for press dies, but fixing wear, taper, and other issues is becoming a lost art.

I look at what is offered on the new machinery market and its pitiful. China can make some nice machines but they still try to build to a price point both to save materials (profit margin) and keep reduced shipping weights. I would rather save some good old American Iron from the final trip to the scrap yard and bring it back for another 30+ years of service.

So if you could, please expand on what the class hopes to cover. 3-4 days does not seem like much, I would only hope I could absorb as much as possible.

Back