What's new
What's new

KBC Lathe Adjustment Question

kuksul08

Aluminum
Hi all,
I have a KBC GRIP1236S lathe. It's quite old but serves me well.

I have found that my apron gearbox is slowly leaking oil. Based on where I see the leak and the height at which it leaks to, I have narrowed it down to this round thing on the front of the apron. This piece rotates when the power feed is engaged. I am guessing the seal is worn out.

Anyway - in the center of the round piece is a set screw. It's about 3/4" long. I cannot tell what it does and if it is supposed to be adjusted in a certain way. I removed it, fully tightened it, and noticed no difference in any backlash or anything.

Anyone got any ideas what it's for?

mT38oDp.jpg

XNGAth8.jpg

I'm not sure exactly, but I suspect that the thing your arrow is pointing to is actually just a plug. It would have an O-ring on the OD to seal it in the apron. It's probably not supposed to turn. More likely, a shaft should turn inside it, like a bushing. The set screw just plugs the hole which is used to pull the bushing. You can thread something into the hole and try pulling it out. I use a slide hammer.

Or I could be totally wrong.

Nearly every (if not all) manual lathe apron I've come across leaks oil - it's what they do ;) .........check on the parts diagram to see if there's even a seal fitted.

Had and airplane a few years ago that leaked about a quart of oil every 4 hours of flight. Otherwise it ran just fine. Irritated me so I overhauled the engine. $12,000 later I was thinking, I could've put a lot of oil in that engine for $12,000":)

Tim

Had and airplane a few years ago that leaked about a quart of oil every 4 hours of flight. Otherwise it ran just fine. Irritated me so I overhauled the engine. $12,000 later I was thinking, I could've put a lot of oil in that engine for $12,000":)

Tim

Kind of difficult to pull over if the leak caused a fire though.:willy_nilly:

Limy is pretty close.The only one I have seen that does not leak is
my Elliott.I would undue the screw and see if that cap comes off.
Maybe an oring has gone hard.

I certainly wouldn't be surprised if it was a hardened or softened seal causing the leak. This lathe is from the 80's. I'm not too concerned about the leaking anymore.

I'm just baffled at what that set screw is supposed to do. The larger round thing it screws into is connected to a gear on the opposite side of the apron that is connected to the power feed shaft gearing. I could disassemble the whole thing and find out, but I had my hopes this would be a simple thing the kind gentlemen of the internet would know about :D

Tim

Now that is funny.

Tim

Hell, if it was a radial that would be considered a "dry" engine. Some if them can leak a quart in 4 hours without cranking it:D.

That is probably a bushing that supports a shaft with gear for the carriage feed. I had a similar lathe that leaked there and the threaded hole was to pull the plug. There was no seal on mine just sealing compound. The set screw may not have come with the lathe. Look at the parts diagram on the Grizzly site for their 12 x 36 lathe for an exploded view that should be very close.

Back