What's new
What's new

K & T Vertical head--Drive Gear.......

machine1medic

Titanium
Some-one Some-where Some-day will need this.
s0; I put it up about once a year.
Obviously I'd sell it.
But I dought machinists & shop owners all over the continent
log-on everyday & rush to the fore-sale forum just to look for this puppy.

what model is it for ???
000_0933-1.jpg

000_0932-1.jpg

000_0933.jpg

000_0932.jpg

Phil
Ice doth blocketh my way to it .....dia. and tooth count later....

How about useful stuff like tooth count and OD of gear? I'll check mine against it. Then I can tell you yes or no for 2CH (and likely also 2H)

Uh... WOW... I've got a #2H univ horiz with a vert head (tilts only, not a omniversal) and I need a drive gear. Gonna go do some measuring like right now.

Every year? WHERE have I been?!!!

I do know it's a 50 taper and that looks to be a 50 taper.

Do you know if the drive gear and the gear in the head are the same? I'll measure outside dia and count teeth for a starter? How else do we check compatability? Try to measure the "lead" angle?

Calling John Oder, this is right up your alley. HELP!

Uh... how much do you want? Roughly...

Tools

Ok, that was fun. If you knew where I had the head stashed, that'd make more sense.

My head's gear is 4.195 OD and 32 teeth. LOOKS the same.

Tools

I guess I better start chipping Ice

the pics are last years..... door is Ice-blocked.

Give me an hour or so.

Yes it's a 50

maybe I should show pics of the Devleig stuff Hmmmnnnnn.:D

Got tired of no responces :(
last time

Phil

2CE vertical drive gear drawing and pictures

This is slightly OT, but I'll post it here since the title of this thread may bring it to the attention of someone who will find it useful.

I've put a drawing and some pictures for the vertical head drive gear for my K&T 2CE horizontal machine at:

www.hucklow.com/MISC/MILLING_MACHINE/

Hopefully there is enough information there to allow someone to make one, but not being an expert in gear cutting, I'm not sure. If anyone who does know about gear cutting would care to tell me if something is missing, then please do so!

Seasons Greetings!

Nick.

Last edited:
Hey Nick,

That link isn't working for me, as you can tell, I'd be interested, especially if this gear will not work for me. Also, your work may help validate whether this gear will work or not.

I guess all that is "critical" is that the DP be the same? I guess the tooth count has to OEM to make the head line up with the overarms. Is the "lead angle" (sorry, not up on gear parlance) standard or similar in similar DPs?

Tools

edit: Phil, THANKS for checking, no big hurry though. Would like to be first on the list (if indeed I am) is all. I think the gear comes out of the head pretty easy. I really wouldn't mind pulling it and sending it to you to be sure. I'll pay postage both ways (of course) if it doesn't, otherwise if it works and we can strike a deal, just send it back with the drive gear and I'll still pay postage. Just seems smarter than sending the big old honking 50 taper part if it's not necessary.

ARG. A little bigger with fewer teeth means the pitch is precisely ... different...

Rats.

Tools

edit: (eyes downwards) Oh, there's hope! Woo hoo!

After Caroline's new cake, I'll go out in the shop, wipe the red Mobil 1 off the gear in the spindle and check it out.

Never mind DP - as a change in helix angle will affect OD - that is how car makers fit all the gears in manual trannys

OD and tooth count should be enough to see if mine and Phil's are the same.

As you can see, Nick's bolts on face of spindle

On the 2CH:

4.220 OD
32 Teeth
.940 face
Marked 38337

I expect since heads are to run same speed they would have same number of teeth.

????????!!!!!!!!!.........?

000_1756.jpg

000_1757.jpg

Well I had a good afternoon.....till I was cleaning out the PC
and found these pics .

now my socks are wet , my feet are cold
I pulled the PC plug out skoot'n it over
and I have no clue what this puupy is to.

note the pin silohetes on the face ????

cobbled ?? stock ??

if it don't net me some bucks It's go'n in Lake Michigan this time.:mad:

PfWeeeew .........:o

Well, that all clears things up nicely... or not.

Hey John, are the gear in your head, and your drive gear the same? I guess another consideration would be that mine, not being "carbide" age (the C in the CH and CE I think) doesn't run as fast... so maybe a H setup would gear up some.

Tools

Back