What's new
What's new

laser engraver - need to mark alu and steel

Jason H

Stainless
I have high volume of silver and black anodized aluminum pipes as well as zinc coated steel plates that I would like to engrave / logo. What would be the best method for high quality work? Laser engraver? something else?

Edit - this is for identification only so depth is not important. Would EDM also be an option? I only have experience with low tech machines.

Thanks

Jason

Jason,
You can't get any better than laser marking or engraving. I am working on my second laser marker for production marking of bone screws. It does a really awesome job on anodized aluminum among any other material. Any thing you can draw in CorelDraw can be marked onto anything. Also, it will use DXF/DWG to mark also. A little pricey maybe depending on size of parts. Do not use CO2 lasers for metal. Use a YAG laser or better. A table top machine might run 40K on up, but worth it if you have a lot to mark. There are certainly other methods like pin stamping but nothing does as nice a job as laser.

Paul

As Lock Nut said, many ways to mark an item. We looked at both a laser and an ink-jet to mark PET plastic bottles ... the ink machines were around 15k, the lasers were 18k (CO2 machines are not expensive, but lack the power for metal marking). The laser was the obvious choice for us, no ink cartridges to mess with, no ink spatter, no nozzles to clean, etc. Image quality is razor sharp, speed is high, controls are PLC based and user friendly, so you'll be marking within an hour after installation. Best to get a few quotes, as prices vary widely.

I've been thinking about the same thing.

Got a few brochures from a couple laser engraving companies. I need to engrave raw brass, aluminum, titanium, and stainless, which requires something more than a regular c02 laser. One company has a fiberlaser that is supposed to work on bare metal surfaces, and another one uses some sort of focusing lens. I'm not sure how either work compared to the more expensive YAG lasers.

Anodized surfaces can of course be marked with a regular c02 laser, of which there are plenty to choose from.

All lasers use focusing lenses. That determines marking area size and height above the workpiece. Some have autofocus, others need to be focused manually. The nicest one I tested was from Keyence. It had a neat way of focusing the optics. There was a pilot laser (very low power, almost like a laser pointer) that created a 3 mm box and a point of light. Raise or lower the laser head until the point converges inside the box and you are ready to mark. Keyence lasers started at about 45K and in my opinion were worth every penny. We had one as a test unit for a couple of weeks, very nice. The Trumpf's I use right now have to be precisely measured in height above the workpiece. Lasers are somewhat forgiving on marking height depending on results needed, plus or minus a couple of millimeters. It is true that you can mark anodized metal with a CO2 because you are only burning away the anodizing, not the metal itself. But, that lessens the possibilities. There are other types besides YAG lasers, all pretty much doing the same thing. There are also lamp pumped and diode pumped lasers, diode pumped being less maintenance. YAG lasers and such are not that much more expensive than CO2, the cost being in the table or machine base it comes in and what kind of parts handling equipment you are looking for. We buy OEM heads and do our own automation. We mark everything now with lasers including tooling, fixturing, you name it. It is one of those machine that once you buy one, you realize all the things you could have been doing with one all that time you didn't have one.

Paul

I agree the Keyence units seem nice. Was talking to the salesman the other day about them. Their other stuff is good quality too.

We've got 2 Rofins. The parts marker runs 3 shifts and is about 4 years old. Our old machine had nothing wrong with it except the computer and software were Win98. To update everything was about 1/2 the cost of new and the machine was 10 years old. So, we bought a new one for $100K. I think we got $15K for the old one with a chiller.

This place deals in used equipment: http://www.laserxchange.com/

There are others to. Makes sure you get manuals on anything used.
JR

I agree that numbers will be he deciding factor. High volume to some guys might be 20,000, while 50 might be high volume for another.

If some of the above prices are making your eyes water, youmay can find somebody to do the marking for you. I have a friend who runs a trophy and engraving shop. If I need this kind of work done, it's a lot cheaper to pay him a few bucks than to sink $45K into an engraver. I can take him artwork or he can create it himself. Just a suggestion.

Some materials wont like to be laser etched like copper and aluminum. The radiation is reflected back. There are sprays that are supposed to help.

A cheap option is diamond drag engraving, Very fine etching.

JRIowa I'd love to stop out at your shop some day.
In fact, I think I've made you parts while working at a previous employer.

Back