What's new
What's new

Large Reamer

Kevin Barrett

Aluminum
I was thinking you guys could help with a question.My Company is looking for a special
reamer.

It needs to have helical flutes , a taper of 1.5 inches taper per foot,or 8 to 1. High speed
steel .The small diameter is 2.625 and the large diameter is 3.5 inches. As this is 7 inch
flute length and a #5 or #6 morse taper shank, it makes for a very large tool,can't buy it
just anywhere you know.

If the members can suggest a tool company for this job,we can take it from there.

Thanks Again.

P S This reaming operation is a repair in a bore which is built up and re finished in a rough ream, Finish ream process,its pretty hard on the tools so we send it out to a shop with a
Horizontal Boring Mill ,we can't run this in a SLOW enough , but RIGID enough setup in our shop (nothings big enough)

Thanks for the quick response.As this is a repair job,repeating , I would like to bore the
component with a straight sided stepped bore and insert a liner with the taper bored in it
then future repairs become much simpler.Our tapered surface then can be produced in the lathe.

I just have to convince the client to try it.

Thanks for the quick response.As this is a repair job,repeating , I would like to bore the
component with a straight sided stepped bore and insert a liner with the taper bored in it
then future repairs become much simpler.Our tapered surface then can be produced in the lathe.

I just have to convince the client to try it.

Sounds very similar to a repair I've seen done on Caterpillar tractors, when the 'dead shaft' works it's way loose in the main casting. The guys would set up a portable boring bar, and bore the original taper out, making a straight cylinder with a blind shoulder. Then, we'd machine a custom sleeve with a tapered bore to match the new taper on the new dead shaft. They would order the sleeve split lengthwise with a sawcut, so when the new dead shaft was pressed in, it would lock everything into position as per new.

AFAIK, it always worked well.

Back