What's new
What's new

The Keyways on Milling Cutters,

behnod

Plastic
Hi everyone.
As shown in the picture there are some disk milling cutters which have double keyways with about 160 to 170 degree apart from each other .
please tell me the reason and the DIN or ISO standard number for this keyway system. i looked up the net but couldn't find any document .

Regards
Behnod

Attachments

• SM-M4-DMTHKB-1_800_800_161007045417.jpg
    SM-M4-DMTHKB-1_800_800_161007045417.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 109
Hi everyone.
As shown in the picture there are some disk milling cutters which have double keyways with about 160 to 170 degree apart from each other .
please tell me the reason and the DIN or ISO standard number for this keyway system. i looked up the net but couldn't find any document .

Regards
Behnod

There would not HAVE to be a standard if what the maker was intending to do was make it possible to stagger the insert's edge positions - or NOT - on adjacent cutters when used "ganged" on the same arbor. As horizontal mills often do.

EG: Don't assume BOTH are used in the same setup. Two @ exactly 180 degrees - or three @ 120 degrees - would be more likely if that were the goal.

Thanks Monarchist ,
i found this and as you said it is used in gang milling operations .

Gang milling using cutters mounted in a staggered pattern
091618.jpg

091617.jpg

​One of the keyways is displaced from the centre-line by half a pitch.
​CoroMill 331 cutters, CoroMill 329, T-Max Q-cutter and CoroMill 328 versions that have bore mounting with keyways can be arranged in a staggered pattern for milling more than one slot at the same time.

Displacing the cutters half a pitch in relation to each other assists in avoiding
vibration. This also reduces the need for fly-wheels.

Thanks Monarchist ,
i found this and as you said it is used in gang milling operations .

Gang milling using cutters mounted in a staggered pattern
091618.jpg

091617.jpg

​One of the keyways is displaced from the centre-line by half a pitch.
​CoroMill 331 cutters, CoroMill 329, T-Max Q-cutter and CoroMill 328 versions that have bore mounting with keyways can be arranged in a staggered pattern for milling more than one slot at the same time.

Displacing the cutters half a pitch in relation to each other assists in avoiding
vibration. This also reduces the need for fly-wheels.

:)

Keep questioning. Continue gathering knowledge. Any and all sources.

If nothing else, it confuses yer enemies!

:D

And makes a HELL of a lot less noise. Also decreases the magnitude of beating the hell out of the spindle gearing when entering and exiting a cut.

Back