What's new
What's new

Kodak Optical Comparator help needed

jhe.1973

Aluminum
Hi Everyone,

I tried this in the Antique Machinery & History forum and got nothing. Don't know if this is the place for this either, but here goes.

I recently picked up an older 14 inch Kodak Optical Comparator w/an overhead illuminator attachment along w/the normal horizontal one.

I was told that it is missing some type of tube w/mirror or prism to reflect the overhead light into the lens below the screen. I have the glass table accessory but no way to reflect the overhead light beam.

The nameplate says the comparator is a model 2A Contour.

Any help would be appreciated 'cuz I have absolutely no info on it.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Jim

Attachments

• Comparator3.jpg
    Comparator3.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 935
Last edited:
Looks a lot like an early, well-built OGP (Opitcal Gauging Products) unit. Maybe contact them to see if they can help.

Jim, I am not familiar with that particular model, but it's possible that nothing is missing.

Comparators like this have two independent illumination modes: silhouette, with the light coming from the pedestal directly across the table/stage from the lens, and reflected, with the light coming from either the side or the front to bounce off the object under examination into the lens. When the light comes from the side (the top in this particular case), you get raking illumination which emphasizes surface relief on the side facing the lens. When the light comes from the front (the general direction of the lens), you get a much flatter illumination which is good for examining front surface features.

If you knew that already, please excuse me. My point is that the object under examination is often what reflects the side or overhead light into the lens.

Thanks for the input.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the input.

PixMan:

I remember reading when I first got this comparator that OGP either bought the rights to these from Kodak or that it was a spinoff from them. I will check down that road further.

I have had this for a few months but have been too busy to play around w/it much.

sfriedburg:

I have used comparators where there are 2 lamps on either side of the lens and I believe they supply the reflection you refer to. With that type the light originates near the lens to be reflected back towards the lens for a stronger image. Thank you though for being so considerate of my toes, but please be assured that you were not stepping on them.

Last November I saw a similar comparator on e**ay that had the manuals w/it. I called the dealer to try to get a copy of the manual & that’s where I was told that I was missing the tube w/mirror that bolts to the square pattern just below the lens. I mentioned this in the original post. Never heard anything more so I decided to try here.

The photo that I posted came from the craigslist ad & now I have taken the time to take my own photos.

As you can see the profile option work fine. However for the surface illumination that the nameplate says it has I am a bit in the dark.

Yep, pun was intended.:D

Using the glass top riser w/top illuminator, I can see where it would be useful for profiling the edge of something too large to place at 90 degrees to the table surface. This riser blocks off any light that would come from the horizontal lamp across from the lens so it has to use the verticle beam from above.

I learned that the government/military bought lots of these units & they have been coming up for auction/sale/surplus all over the country. Mine came from an air base. That’s why I am surprised that there hasn’t been much response here to my request for help.:confused:

Oh well, thanks again both of you for your help & suggestions.:bowdown:

Best wishes to everyone.

Sincerely,

Jim

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 1,032
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 2,794
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 523
  • 3a.jpg
    3a.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 464
More photos

Just adding more photos.

Also, if this isn't the best place for to ask for help, can anyone direct me to the best thread/forum?

Best wishes to you all.

Sincerely,

Jim

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 496
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 496
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 693
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 510
I bought a 30 inch Kodak comparator a year or two ago, and did a little research back then. If I recall, the Kodak comparator became ExCell-O comparators, and then quite a while later it became OGP comparators. So keep your eye out for a Ex-Cell-O manual too.

Not sure if my 30 inch Kodak comparator is the same as your 14 inch in design. I do have some books however.

Kodak, ExCell-O, OGP and other Optical Comparators

Hello Everyone. First, please allow me to apologize for the tardiness of this response. We just came across this thread today. I suppose late is better than never.

My name is Tim Fantauzzo. I manage a company called Certified Comparator Products (Certified Comparator Products - The Source for New and Used Optical Comparators). Certified Comparator Products (CCP) is part of Quality Vision International (QVI) based in Rochester, NY. QVI has its origins in Kodak, Ex-Cello, and yes, OGP for certain. Today, CCP (my division), is the primary optical comparator division for QVI. We are the world leaders in PreOwned Optical Comparators as well as entirely new very high-tech models. We have inside experts that know everything there is to know about the old Kodak models and Ex-Cellos. In fact, we rebuild and sell them in brand new state on a weekly basis. Please feel free to contact us regarding your surface illuminator or any other questions you may have. We would be very happy to help in any way that we can.

Hi there, I have an identical contour projector. And I am looking for the replacement optical lens (vertical and horizontal). I haven`t found them anywhere, this is a classic model with lots of models selling on ebay. Drop me a message if you need any guidance or if you know where the lenses can be found. thanks
woody_cnc

Kodak Comparator Expert

Please contact Richard Durham, PreOwned Systems Manager at CCP. He is an absolute EXPERT on these old Kodak models. I guarantee that he has any parts you may need for them. His direct number is: (937) 426-9677.

Has anyone got the manual for this Kodak 14-2A? Keith of VM has a video on YT showing the machine he has and I considered emailing them but there are so many “do nots” on their site regarding contacting them, for once I “did not.” The 937 number above is now answered by “Certified Comparator Products” so I’ll try again during working hours.

I now have a pdf of the manual but too large to load here, pm me and I’ll send it, will try to get VM to post it.

Back