What's new
What's new

Labor law poster scam

partsproduction

Titanium
The other day I came in as my wife was on the phone, I asked who it was as she hung up and she snarled something about those $%^&#@!! labor poster people again. "I think that is a scan hon" I said, "How much did they get?"
So she sent a check for $270 something prior to the call, they were calling back telling her we needed extra posters when I clamped down on it.

I just sent $15 to the State of Oregon for the actual required posters. When the tube with the scammers posters came (By UPS of course, not USPS which is far cheaper) I returned that unopened.
If you google "Labor poster scam" you can find out about this, but I wanted to let anyone who has been a victim of it to know for the future.
There must be people in the forum who know more about what the law is on these required posters.
I just googled "(My state's) required labor law posters" and found the return that is actually from the state I live in. For even less money you may be able to download the PDF and print it yourself though I think there i a size minimum. That PDF can be taken to the local printer and they may be even cheaper than the $15.

You can just print the thing with a desktop printer. $0 required.

You learn this the first week in business. Just like the Dunn and Bradstreet BS.

she sent a check for $270 something prior to the call
I found out that she had sent $10 earlier based on a postal notice, but they called to tell her she needed to pay an extra $270 something, so we lost $10. The list of posters needed varies by the size of the company in Oregon, and the entire requirement is satisfied by the $15 I sent to Oregon.
That call she got was full of regrets about how much fines she would have to pay yada yada yada, but it's all scare tactic, like the travelers use to get old people to pay exorbitant fees to "fix" the roof or seal the foundations, "Your home is crumbling even as we speak!". A scam is a scam everywhere I guess.

Yes, there is a long line of scammers waiting at your door, on your computer, on your phone, its a way of life. People will lie, cheat, steal and kill for money, sex, drugs and fun.

You don't also get this deal in the mail every six months?
Very scary official looking envelopes made to look like a state or a fed agency, response required....your are not in compliance.

I wonder how much they make per year doing such things.
Maybe it is better money than actually running a shop?

I mean it's not really a scam if you are the doing guy, all shops have to have such posted.
Maybe it's a service and you are helping people not end up on the wrong side of a lawsuit???
Nice thing is that my local office supply has big laminated posters covering the requirements for very low cost.
Bob

Rule of thumb. Look at the postmark.

No matter how "official" it looks, if was sent standard mail it goes straight to the recycle bin.

Back