What's new
What's new

Large ID Measuring Advice

whiskeykid

Aluminum
I'm building something larger than I have the means to measure. It's an 18" rotating head (oilfield thingy) and both the ID and OD of the two separate parts have to be turned to fairly tight tolerances due to a huge tapered roller bearing that gets slip fit in between the two.

Anyhow, I'm honestly not sure how I'm going to accurately measure the two parts without purchasing a large set of internal mics, which I feel would be an excessive cost for a 'one-off' product. My original intention was to get the bearing first, rough out each piece, and then sneak up on a fit. It looks now like the bearing will be the last thing to be delivered.

18" caliper maybe?

Mic heads to the rescue

Why dont you just make your own temporary inside mic to suit?
Get an inside micrometer head off fleabay.
Get a hunk of bar stock, a few inches shorter than the ID of the workpiece.
Press a rounded-end pin into one end.
Fix the mic head onto the other.
Voila ! A precision, adjustable inside mic.

You could use the mic head to make an outside one also:
Hunk of flat stock, one end bent over at 90deg.
Fix the mic head into a block that can be clamped to the other end for rough adjustment.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=micrometer+head

On second thought, forget part two - if you have the OD part turned, just clamp two blocks onto a piece of flat stock to make a "snap gage" which will establish a standard for the OD. Then use this to set the temporary ID mic to the required ID.

Last edited:
The entire ID mic from Ebay could be cheap -- $50 or so. Unless you can use the bearing as a reference, calibrating the mic or the gages noted above may be a slight headache depending on what equipment you have. Thermal effects will also be an issue in accuracy, if the part, mic, and bearing are at different temperatures.

Hell, make longer rods for your existing inside mike. Calibrate it anyway you can and note the error. Use it as a comparative device compensating for the knwn error. A hunk of rod with an indicator on one end makes a handy ID comparator. Set a zero and double check. OD mike to zero on the indicator dial and you are there.

Make a pin gage: a rod whose ends are roughly spherically raduised and precision fitted to an ID. If you accidentally make it too short lengthen it by cold forging the middle.

You don't need precision measuring gear to get good fits if the parts to be fitted can be referred to. All it takes is some rod and a dia indicator and a little imagination - and an understanding of what the heat of your hand can do to precision measurement.

You only need measuring tools if you have to certify a measurement on paper.

A pi tape will get you close on the OD if it is a true circle , maybe within .001".
If you can make an adjustable OD mike , and use the bearing as a reference to calibrate it , you are half way home .
I have a few shop made "bow mics " . Just saw or torch a half circle , make a few collars on to hold the mic head , and an adjustable rod , and set it as close as you can .
We used to take them to the gage room to calibrate , then stick a tag on that would say something like " reading is .0055" larger than actual ".
I always view inside mics as measurement transfer tools , instead of true measuring tools .
Especially in the case of the 2-12" and 8-32" Starret sets that you assemble from rod & spacers . I always use an outside mic to check an inside mic.
Forget any calipers , they are just slightly more accurate than a 6" rule .

I would not make a single chip untill you have that bearing sitting on your bench

Last edited:
I think the original poster stated his problem as being that he won't get the bearing in time to use it.

Is there a local bearing house which could lend you a bearing cup of the same OD?

I'd buy an inside set from 1 1/2 to 32, though I don't know what they cost today. Mine's way more than 40 years old, bought the toolbox from my lead man when he retired, 40 years ago.
Probably prohibitive from a one off job aspect.

This is not the For Sale Thread, but I have some mike heads with sleeve, shown here:
Scherr-Tumicohead.jpg

LufkinNo011.jpg

They take a 3/8 rod tapered on the other end, radius the end a bit, set with the means of your choice, large outside mic, maybe, if you have one.

We used these, and had them calibrated in the tool room, to about 20 feet. Tape on the sleeve is because that is where it was supported on the calibrator, you also hold it there, and over 20 foot, temp transfer was negligible.

ALWAYS set at least 24 hours in advance so could acclimate to the temp in the machine area.

Innyhoo, I have no idea of their value, I would entertain an offer for one.

Cheers,

George

Thank you all for the replies. I think that building an extension for an internal mic is the most practical solution. Incidentally, the part is due to go out to the field on June 1st, but the bearing isn't due to arrive until the last week of may, hence my choice to start building the part before the bearing arrived. Unfortunately though, the bearing was delayed even more so the design has changed to fit a more common and readily available double tapered roller bearing. I haven't heard when that one should arrive, but I'm assuming it'll be here within a week or two.

Thanks for all the advice though, it's always good to learn from the vast experience here at PM!

Back