What's new
What's new

lathe bed shaking as hell.

As the title,my lathe at least 2 weeks,the bed of my lathe in every cutting,or finishing work, has started to shake a lot .. can someone tell me what's wrong;

Anything loose? Cutting insert, gibs etc?

I'm reading between the lines a bit, but I get the impression it only vibrates while cutting, and that this is a new problem, right?

Post a video, if you can. Host it to Youtube or Vimeo, link it here. Otherwise we're all just p*ssing in the wind with the guesses.

ΓΡΕΖΕΡΜΑΝ;3137892 said:
cutting and turning jobs.Yes a new problem,find home....

Is it shaking just when you are cutting, or when ever the spindle is turning?

Does it shake as much at low spindle RPM as at high spindle RPM?

CarlBoyd

One jackscrew on the lathe's plinths has come off its floor pad? A drive V belt might have lost a chunk? The belt tension is too loose and a harmonic vibration gets going?

When you check the V belts Also check the pulley on the motor. Not knowing what brand lathe or model makes it hard to help. You have the machine setting on the floor tight and aligned and leveled? How long is the part your turning? What diameter is it? How far is it sticking out the chuck? Are you using the tail stock? Did you CRASH the machine like running the compound into the chuck? Do you have a dial indicator you can put on the outside of your chuck and see if the chuck in running round? If you crashed the machine you may have bent the spindle if it is a small Asian lathe. Take some pictures if you can't do a You Tube.

Today ,i see in one of my turning jobs,that the bed of the lathe is not shaking ,but the cariage is like to dance end it is distracting all the other parts..

You know how to sharpen your tool bit don't you? If your using an insert check to be sure its right side up and in the centerline of the part. Look and see if there is a tapered gib missing or lose.

Last edited:
This guy has posted here before. I think his lathe was Polish or Russian. Give him a break on his English it is much better then my Greek.
Bill D.

I am thing everyone this is some make believe joker we have here.[/QUOTE]

chreiazómaste perissóteres pliroforíes gia to michánimá sas. Eínai epípedo?
Boreíte na dimosiéfsete éna vínteo YouTube gia to próvlimá sas?

ΓΡΕΖΕΡΜΑΝ;3138316 said:
Today ,i see in one of my turning jobs,that the bed of the lathe is not shaking ,but the cariage is like to dance end it is distracting all the other parts..

Are you working a large radius, in a corner ?

Back