What's new
What's new

Lathe carbide inserts and tool holders

Raul McCai

Aluminum
Looking to get into it. I've always ground toolbits by hand, but carbide has improved since 1970 when I started.
I'm looking for recommendations for general application turning - no specialty work. Steel, Alum, Brass, 4041, and prehard, that sort of thing
Whose holders do you use? What cutter profiles work well? whose inserts do you like?
I can take holders up to 5/8" square.

HOBBY LATHE KIT

If I knew then what I know now.. I'd start here.. Quality tools at good prices, let you get your feet wet..

Those 'kits' are not the highest of the high end, but they are basically the same stuff I run every day
trying to make money... They will be quality, and it will be a lot of bang for the buck. Good stuff,
the guy selling them is a member here, and he gets a vast majority of my tool orders, and he's never done
me wrong. Good quality, good prices, a lot of bang for the buck.. He won't knowingly sell you crap
unless you specifically request it.

As for trying to wade through a huge sea of inserts trying to figure out what you need, and what is going
to work for you... NOPE, I won't do it.. I got other stuff to do.. You pick up the phone, or fire off
an e-mail.. Curtis I need a DNMG 432 to do *blah blah blah*.. A few days later a box shows up on my doorstep,
and 98% of the time, the tools work like a charm.. Then the bill shows up, and as much as I hate getting any type
of bill, his bills don't hurt too bad.. I just have to remember to pay them.

Trying to choose your own inserts.. It aint easy.. I WILL NOT do it anymore.. Every dollar you spend on an
insert, a bit of that is for knowledge... I prefer to let somebody else deal with that, somebody that is more
familiar with all of it than I am..

That’s link is Curtis(exkenna) here on pm. He is great, email him or call, tell him what you are trying to do and how much you want to spend. He sells quality stuff much cheaper than most. I bought a bunch of stuff from him.
Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back