What's new
What's new

Lathe chuck help

rolleikin

Plastic
I have a 6 inch 3-jaw lathe chuck. It came with my South Bend lathe I just purchased.

It is marked: Union Mfg. Corp. New Britain Conn USA. 6 in. No. 1 2 3 - K

Last night I started taking it apart so I can clean it and de-rust it. It is overly dirty as it came from a shop that believed that oil and dust are the correct maintenance plan.

I started by using some ZEP degreaser on the outside of the chuck. It was so grimy and oily that I had to go this route.

Then I removed the jaws and wire brushed them for a few minutes by hand (no bench grinder in the house). Still could not read anything on the jaws.

Next, I dropped them in mineral spirits and let them soak for half an hour, then wire brushed them again and followed that with some medium brillo scouring pad rubbing.

I then soaked them in vinegar for an hour (definitely not enough, but I was running out of time) to remove some rust and followed this with more wire brushing and brillo pad scouring.

Lastly, I lightly oiled them with Ballistol (awesome gun lubricant from Germany) to keep flash rust away. It does, but while I was scouring jaw number 3, jaw number 1 was already flash rusting, so I had to redo it.

The jaws are marked 34 with nothing else (well, jaw number 1, 2, 3, of course).

Anyway, to make a long story, shorter, I noticed significant wear on the jaw grooves that engage the scroll and on the teeth that clamp on the work-piece. The chuck still works fine, though, so this post is not a disaster alert call.

Where can I find replacement jaws, and how can I figure out the correct model number to order?

Thanks
Andrei

Before you do anything, what are your expectations of accuracy if/when you find new jaws ?

rolleikin, (35mm adapter for Rolleiflex cameras)

As Digger suggests, you might make something that you might typically make and see if it falls within your tolerances.

Years ago I bought a filthy, gummed up, full of swarf, SB Heavy 10 with a sag worn in the bed. I cleaned it and use it. It does what I need, and I work around its shortcomings.

I just play with machinery, so taking a long time to do something is not a factor.

Paul

Never delt with these guys.. chuck rebiulders.
http://www.worldwidechuck.com/chuck_repairs.htm
supply of new and used jaws

Agree try it out it may run better that you think and don't be surprised at .010 as that can be close for an old crapped out chuck.

Replacement jaws .. *Be sure they are going to fit because some are made to be side ground to be made to fit a wore chuck.

Fine work can be run between centers after making centers with a crapped out chuck.

Don't know how good this might be .. at least it has a name

http://www.ajaxtoolsupply.com/at6se...dSKj-iJ-RW-ouQY5Jlq654HeCVDUoih4mMaAviq8P8HAQ

Good chuck makes a lathe so would go this good or better.
(Think cast iron and steel better than semi steel, nodular iron would be better but don't know anyone making chucks of that. ).

Actually I have become so fast at centering a 4 jaw I would go 4jaw.. you can center to .004 and better with eyeball bumping a parked tool bit.

Doug,

I can live with the current status of the chuck (I have a 4-jaw as well, but have not taken that apart yet).

Sometimes, when I clean or service something, I give in to OCD and want to make it better :)

Andrei

Paul, you score the highest. In many years, you are the first one to recognize what the Rolleikin is. Ten thumbs up (had to call in some neighbors for that).

I don't earn my mortgage payment with screw machines. I just "screw" around with them :)

Generally, I think I get my kicks from breaking them down, rebuilding them, and then putting on a shelf the leftover parts :)

Cheers,
Andrei

I just called them up. I used to live about 20 minutes away from them. The chuck is (of course) long since obsolete. The offered to manufacture a new set, reversible, for "probably around $1,300" but could not commit until he researched the full spec.

Now we know what will happen next: shine this one up and use it as is until my skills exceed its tolerances :)

Thanks,
Andrei

Back