What's new
What's new

lathe help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmjones

Plastic
I am a knife maker and make pattern welded steel/damascus. I recently picked up a mini lathe and am trying to make stainless damascus rings. I am having trouble boring the ring hole out. I have no experiance with a lathe but have had no problem turning the steel down to size but the harbor freight boring bar is just not cutting. Any and all help with technique, setup, speed and better boring bar suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks
John

welcome john, first you need to add location to upper right corner. then give more details about what kind of lathe and size of hole. the more info, the better

You have identified your problem with three words, Mini, Harbor and Freight.

The moderator will lock this thread as soon as he sees it. See this post for his explanation. http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/machinery-discussion-guidelines-137724/

You could start with the South Bend "How to Run a Lathe" book, which helps beginners with any brand lethe. They have been printed since the 1930's and are still printed new. Look on eBay or Amazon or the new Chinese South Bend Lathe site.

There are several things that need to be right for a boring bar (or turning tool) to work: Sharp tool with shape appropriate for the material, cutting edge exactly on the lathe center line and speed appropriate for the material.

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back