What's new
What's new

Lathe Turning Insert Identification FIMS

kineticmx

Aluminum
Hello,
I recently purchased a new to me lathe, branded as a "MaxTurn 800" it is a Takisawa TSL800. At 5HP and about 2400 lbs, it's my first real engine lathe compared to the Logan 200 I had previously. Along with the machine I received a FIMS tool post along with several holders. I believe FIMS made several sizes and this is the #4.

Two of the tool holders hold inserts. One I determined to hold SNMG43x inserts, however the other tool holder has me stumped. I believe it holds a TNMG insert however I don't know what the correct size is.

If anyone has information on the tool post and/or holders it would be appreciated. I would also appreciate any information on the correct triangle insert. If someone could make recommendations on a good general purpose insert for a variety of materials it would be a big help.

Thanks Teddy

PS I paid less than 1K for the machine, I think I did well.

IMG_4938.jpgIMG_4937.jpgIMG_4936.jpgIMG_4935.jpg

Grab your calipers.
Measure the depth of the pocket. Normally this will be .010 inch under the needed thickness.
Measure from center of the pin hole to the wall. Double that for insert IC. They only come in big jumps.
Or measure the pin. Each IC has it's own hole size. The pin will be smaller but will only make sense on one size insert.
Have no scale in your pics so do not have other useful info.
Bob

The other ones not for a parting blade is it?

Yes it is.

To follow up to the original question I took some measurements of the pocket and based on the inscribed circle it appears to be a tnmg 43x size insert. Thanks for the measurement idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,
I recently purchased a new to me lathe, branded as a "MaxTurn 800" it is a Takisawa TSL800. At 5HP and about 2400 lbs, it's my first real engine lathe compared to the Logan 200 I had previously. Along with the machine I received a FIMS tool post along with several holders. I believe FIMS made several sizes and this is the #4.

Two of the tool holders hold inserts. One I determined to hold SNMG43x inserts, however the other tool holder has me stumped. I believe it holds a TNMG insert however I don't know what the correct size is.

If anyone has information on the tool post and/or holders it would be appreciated. I would also appreciate any information on the correct triangle insert. If someone could make recommendations on a good general purpose insert for a variety of materials it would be a big help.

Thanks Teddy

PS I paid less than 1K for the machine, I think I did well.

View attachment 203481View attachment 203482View attachment 203483View attachment 203484

You stole that lathe IMO Teddy.

Anyway, those tool holders are rare as hens teeth but you can modify BXA-sized holders to fit the post. They have a little more clearance when released but they pull up just as tight:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...insert-holder-333322-post2976340/#post2976340

You stole that lathe IMO Teddy.

Anyway, those tool holders are rare as hens teeth but you can modify BXA-sized holders to fit the post. They have a little more clearance when released but they pull up just as tight:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...insert-holder-333322-post2976340/#post2976340

Thanks for the info, I've been poking around on eBay a little bit looking for tool holders and not much comes up. One guy has two listed at the moment but for $250 each!

I'll probably scoop up a couple Chinese holders and use them for some of my less commonly used tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back