What's new
What's new

mosquito zappers

MBG

Hot Rolled
Anybody know of ones that work? I bought a stinger from walmart and it is terrible. Also, have to buy the $8 inserts every week.

Anybody have any idea of a working product?

I haven't had it long enough to say it's good or bad but I bought a Flowtron from Amazon. the Octenol baits are about $6.oo and supposed to last a month.

not quite yet at wally world, but pretty cool:

Mosquito killed by a Laser - YouTube

Specs: 50-100 kills per second at 100 feet. Built with $50 consumer grade parts bought on eBay.

Greenpeace will be all over you, what will the bats eat if you kill all the mosquitoes? An environmental impact study will need to be done, the EPA will think dead mosquitoes will be a pollution hazard

Without bait they don't work (well). The better ones use propane combusted to produce CO2 which attract the mosquitoes that are then drawn into a bag or catch container. MT350 Mosquito trap by Flowtron: Greatly improved.

During the day the lamps type traps are not really bright enough to compete with daylight. You will not attract much, although you will incinerate quite a few bees, at night moths will be drawn to it, which is undesirable as well. No bees, no pollination, no food crops.

There was a version of a bug zapper, for fish growers.
A bug that is cooked is not as palatable or healthy for the fish..
So, putting a zapper of the water to feed the fish is not ideal.

This zapper uses a small motor, and fishing line to SMACK them as they get near..
The fish love it.

Who thinks of this stuff?

A bug zapper and 12 pack - now there's entertainment!

+1 on CO2 models. Pricey, but the few folks that own one that I have talked to over the years say they work the best.

Walt

Mosquitos are not attraced to UV light that the zappers typically use. Those
make a nice show but the insects nailed are moths typically.

As mentioned, they follow CO2 trails to their meat meals. Get one that burns
propane to lure them, I think they wind up drowned in water.

Back