What's new
What's new

LeBlond Makino 15" Servo-Shift Info?

tobnpr

Hot Rolled
For sale, locally:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/273038379390

30-40 year old electronics scare the bejeezus outta me.
Obvious the lathe has seen use, and "main motor needs to be rewired" doesn't add confidence. Are the electronic speed controls part of the actual motor?

Price seems high for any lathe this old with an acknowledged issue and that can't be run under power. No idea of how reliable the controls were/are (rip them out and replace with VFD?), or whether they're part of or separate from, the motor "problem".

Run, don't walk away? Worth looking at?

Depending on what kind of condition its in, that's a nice later model lathe-cuts inch/metric threads, decent sized spindle bore, etc. Rewiring could be in regards to the 460 Volt tag, seller may think most people will be running it on 230. Servo shift can be troublesome, so it would be good to see it under power at the price he has at it. Note its a geared head machine, the servo shift shifts the gears automatically, turn the dial to the speed you want and start the spindle.

^^
It's only 20 minutes from me so probably worth that look, get info on the "rewiring", check for obvious wear and see if I can get any history on it.

Depending on what kind of condition its in, that's a nice later model lathe-cuts inch/metric threads, decent sized spindle bore, etc. Rewiring could be in regards to the 460 Volt tag, seller may think most people will be running it on 230. Servo shift can be troublesome, so it would be good to see it under power at the price he has at it. Note its a geared head machine, the servo shift shifts the gears automatically, turn the dial to the speed you want and start the spindle.

So it's not a "true" variable speed drive- but an electrical gear shift?

tobnpr;E said:
Every one with no experience with a LeBlond servoshift says they are trouble. B.S. mine has run daily for over 10 years. total expenditures, about 30.00 for a new tooth belt. Other than that I just run the hell out of it. Got a hot job on it right now. You will find no wear on the carriage ways as they are tool steel and harder than a whores heart. look as the T/S ways, they may have some wear. Wiring the motor should be no big deal. I would not use a VFD, The knob on the right side of the carriage is the motor power fwd / rev. control as well as the electric spindle brake. you can pre select your next spindle speed while you are making a cut, then switch off, spindle brake on, it shifts and you are good to go again. LeBlond are still making lathes, check the price if you think that one is expensive.

I’ve always heard unfavorable comments concerning the “Servo Shift” but I have a 19” that has given me good service for 25 or 30 years.

What is a "true" variable speed? The LeBlond Servo Shift is a gearhead lathe with electrical / hydraulic shifting. Not a Reeves drive or any other B.S.

I worked on one lathe that had a " true " variable speed drive. It had an hydraulic motor than you controlled with a small dial mounted on the saddle. Infinitely variable within it's range. You had to select " low-medium-high " range in the conventional manner IE a three position lever on the headstock.
In reality most people just left the machine in " medium " range.

It worked very well although the mechanism for varying the speed could have been more robust.

Regards Tyrone.

I’ve always heard unfavorable comments concerning the “Servo Shift” but I have a 19” that has given me good service for 25 or 30 years.
The earlier one that shifts with the big round knob on the headstock is okay. This style, down by the tumbler box and over on the carriage, is not my favorite :(

At $4500, I would probably keep looking. But I'd rather have this than a stinking vfd. People who don't run machines are in love with those stupid things. I guess if you never take a cut at low speeds they look pretty but I like to drill a hole once in a while.

I worked on one lathe that had a " true " variable speed drive. It had an hydraulic motor than you controlled with a small dial mounted on the saddle. Infinitely variable within it's range. You had to select " low-medium-high " range in the conventional manner IE a three position lever on the headstock.
In reality most people just left the machine in " medium " range.

It worked very well although the mechanism for varying the speed could have been more robust.

Regards Tyrone.
Who made it?
A hydrostatic transmission is about the perfect tool for the job here.

The seller didn't even put the serial number in the ad. What a ds. You might think it's old but if you want a lathe, that's one of the last US made lathes there is.

Who made it?
A hydrostatic transmission is about the perfect tool for the job here.

Mm, I was hoping nobody would ask that. " Binns & Berry ". Not British lathe makings finest hour but when the hydraulic drive was working well it was very handy. It was great on interrupted cuts. If you had a bit of chatter on long jobs, just turn the dial up or down slightly as you were running and the chatter would go away.

Regards Tyrone.

Mm, I was hoping nobody would ask that. " Binns & Berry ". Not British lathe makings finest hour but when the hydraulic drive was working well it was very handy. It was great on interrupted cuts. If you had a bit of chatter on long jobs, just turn the dial up or down slightly as you were running and the chatter would go away.

Regards Tyrone.

I knew a guy that ran a Binns & Berry, He had nothing good to say about it!

how would you apply an hydrostatic transmission to this machine ? please explain?

the servo-shift hydraulically "shifts' a manual gearbox. same machine- just puts the gear -on deck - to shift.

You wouldn't with this machine.
But for a lathe it's about ideal with 3 or 4 speed ranges.

Back