What's new
What's new

OT -- Water Diaplacer for Ignition Systems

Weirsdale George

Stainless
Back in the day, my father had a spray can of something (not WD40) that he would spray on ignition wiring when when they got wet -- seems he used a lot of it on an old Graymarine boat engine we had. Does anyone know what can be used as a water displacer? Thanks.

We always used pyreine, the stuff that was in hand pump fire extinguishers, don't think you can get it anymore. Believe carbon tetrachroride will also work, but alas that was also taken from the market. :codger:

Your dad could have sprayed just about anything that would have displaced the water/salt and not caused a noticeable deterioration of the wires in the short term. My guess would be some kind of a mix with alcohol in it. If it was for the high tension wires even pure fresh water would have worked to flush the salt spray off (but obviously not for under the distributor cap unless you also had a dry rag).

Did you mean he used a lot of it over the years or alot each time? Did it smell? Did he do anything else like use a cloth to dry the wires? Was the engine usually hot or cold?

Dave

Dave D -- I remember my father using the spray stuff about 45 years ago -- as I recall the engine was always cold, the spray did not leave a resudual film and it had a rather strong smell until it evaporated.

For the others -- I will try to pick up one of the CRC products the next time I am near a automotive parts house.

Thanks.

Actually WD-40 which is silicone in a light hydrocarbon sauce works quite well. I would not use it under an old distributor cap, but good any where else...

When I worked in a Chevron station in the late 60's and early 70's, we had an Atlas product called PIB. It was used on batter terminals as well as ignition cables. To me, PIB smelled like some kind of varnish, though I am sure it had other ingredients as well.

Actually WD-40 which is silicone in a light hydrocarbon sauce works quite well. I would not use it under an old distributor cap, but good any where else...

Why not under a distributor cap? I must have used WD40 in a thousand or two distributor caps and it worked without problem. I did learn that generally there was no need to spray in the cap, do all the easy bits on the outside and often no need to spray inside. Later I used Duck Oil by Deb products. It was thinner so I could put lots on, it would soak into all cracks and crevices.
The one to avoid is Holts Damp Start. It dries to a crisp varnish that held the moisture in - the instructions say to only apply to clean dry surfaces!!! Holts Wet Start was just like WD40.

Water Displacer, 40th formula. And it was developed for NASA just for blowing water out of electrical connectors on spacecraft equipment. Although the last report I saw said it was composed of a blend of petroleum distillates, no silicone. It is still a secret proprietary blend, so no one is quite sure what is in it otherwise.

Water Displacer, 40th formula. And it was developed for NASA just for blowing water out of electrical connectors on spacecraft equipment. Although the last report I saw said it was composed of a blend of petroleum distillates, no silicone. It is still a secret proprietary blend, so no one is quite sure what is in it otherwise.

I wonder if the same chemist developed CR-39: Columbia Resin #39 for plastic lenses :rolleyes5: there might even be another product #XX-41 out there somewhere.

Always used WD-40, What doesn't work very well is Ether starting fluid.
Quite a few years back, When I was younger and less intelligent, We were pulling some downed logs out of a small river, I got a little to close and deep with a 4 x4 ford pickup, and drowned out the motor.
No problem! Get out your old trusty can of WD out from the tool box; But all I had was a can of starting fluid.
Took off the distributor cap, and sprayed the hell out of it. Put the cap back on, and tried to start the truck.
All the kings horsemen couldn't have put that distributor cap back together again, Went off like Hiroshima.
My buddy kept as many pieces of the cap he could find, on his [trophy] shelf in the shop for several years. dave [acme thread]

My comment about WD presumed that one could create a situation where one could be between the LEL and the UEL and cause the aforementioned BOOM.....

i was given the impression yeas ago that wd-40 was a fish oil base.
Gunk Made wire drier was a spray that left a varnish behind.
i use silicone now,my ol dodge plow truck doesent like it when the cap gets wet.
whenever i pull the cap,i give it a tiny bead of silicome sealant to help keep the water out.
last go round with the wet distributor,i used Fluid Film.its a lanolin or wool wax base.

I found the stuff that is supposed to seal the wires like hairspray or paint dosen't work very well. WD 40 works great before there was WD 40 we used other sprays that were more expensive.---Trevor

Back