What's new
What's new

Hydraulic cyl. tie rod material?

My first machine shop job out of high school was at a hydraulic cyl manufacture. the material was dark in color and the threads were always rolled. The lead engineer told me that if you don't roll the threads, its gonna be a bad day int he neighborhood.

I work for a shop that does alot of hydraulic repair work. I am not sure, but I believe the material we use for rods is 4140. I do know for sure that it is induction hardened as well as chrome plated. We have to heat it before it can be cut or turned.

I work for a shop that does alot of hydraulic repair work. I am not sure, but I believe the material we use for rods is 4140. I do know for sure that it is induction hardened as well as chrome plated. We have to heat it before it can be cut or turned.

TIE rods, not piston rods.

TIE rods, not piston rods.

Oops. Sorry. We have used pieces of regular 4140 for tie rods, even grade 8 all thread a time or two. I dont think that the tie rods need to be anything special. But, I am just a machinist the mechanics who do the repairs just tell me what they want me to do and i do it.

Back