Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: Lifting a lathe, by the chuck?

gmatov is offline Diamond

machtool,
    "You're a drunkard embarrassment to this community."

Of course I am. I am probably the only person ON this Forum who admits to drinking beer. Right?

"Who were you winding up with the big bat on tonight?'
    I don't "wind up with the big bat" on anybody. I will tell you when I think you are full of shit.

"Who was in the gun tonight? Jews, Fags, Blacks, Mexicanís, China? Or anything else that has sweet fuck all to do with the topic?"

I am probably MUCH less bigoted than you. I would not have even USED those derogatory terms to see what my next intention was.

I do not want to go back over the whole thread to see what you have contributed, other than this diatribe.

Is this ALL you can DO? See if you can dis posters? I do not need YOUR "likes". I do not even need your responses. You MAY, of course, cut me down as much as you like. I MAY, of course, rebut you. I have decided that I do not like you. Prude.

You, again,
    "If our guy had actually pulled the front and back lifting bar covers, so he could see in there, he would have found the bar will pick up on the chunky part of the stand, right where the base is bolted to it. Look at the tiny gap on top of those round covers, to how low the base sits in the stand. The holes lines up under the solid top of the base."(That makes you an asshole, you were WRONG!!!
    THEN, you get THIS:

"ossi Well I did not.
    Lifted it by the bed close to the chuck and it almost balanced.
    Just about 1" to get the pallet from under."

So the whole question was academic
    But it turned into machtool's diatribe about whether I should post, because I MUST be drunk to make such comment as I do.

You don't like MY posts, hit the ignore button. Seems that EVERYBODY threatens to do so. They never DO, they just make the threat.
    I gotta see if there is an "ignore" for you. You would be easy to ignore.

George

Cool

JimR,

Absolutely NOT. I am using a Lenovo laptop, Win 7 Home Premium, FF 9 whatever. I type the letter "t" so many times, I go to la-la land, unrecoverable.
    I gave feedback TO FF of this.

I do not 'log in", I am constantly logged in

Letter "t" alone vanishes my posts. I do not need to do the things you suggest.

I will try Control V the next time this happens.

I STILL hate FF9. BIG red button, upper left, that USED to allow me to "save " for instance the invoice for something you have just bought, the bill you just paid, etc. It is no longer THERE!

Back to the log in, I am always logged in, and I have 24 hours to edit.

Tony, I use right click, "Select All". Another bitch I just had was hit SOME key, and the fucking text keeps getting smaller. Have to Control + to get back to where I was. WHAT key that was, I have no idea. Totally random. The Browser totally sucks, any more. It USED to be the best that there WAS..

I think MS has incorporated MOST of what FF used to do. New tab and the like, multiple tabs, etc.

FF is pissing me off BIG time.

George

RC99 is online now Titanium

cmon gents, lets all share a nice bong and sing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYJMt...eature=related

wippin' boy is online now Diamond

if you run fire fox backwards you can hear bill o'riley saying " i shot kennedy"
    adama likes this.

jim rozen is offline Diamond

Uh oh. Seven, eh? I'll stick with a stripper version of XP. Seven's just too scarey for
    me. FF version? Um, looks like 3.5.6 or something. Runs fine.

I think you *can* find older versions to roll back to, if you search online.

Tony Wells is offline Banned

It seems that Firefox jumped right up to v10+. They definitely has a few issues to work out. Beats me why they are pushing so hard that they release a buggy version, then immediately have to patch it, and then release a new version. This one seems to operate pretty well. 10.0.2 on WIn7.

George, the CTRL+V is just a shortcut to "Paste" you'll find in the right-click menu, in case you didn't know. Using a touchpad on a laptop, I have found it quicker to use the keyboard than the touchpad, even though I can't type. Back in school, they told me that "Shop is for boys, typing is for girls", and wouldn't let me take it.

Tony,

I have been playing with computers for 30 years or so. I know that Control V is Cut, and Control C is paste. My first was a 1980 Commodore VIC, so it is 32 years.

I used Netscape because I did not LIKE MS, and I have continued to use FF, because it is a spin off of Netscape.

JimR,

"I think you *can* find older versions to roll back to, if you search online." CAN you actually find an older version of FF? 6 would be good. Uninstall, and go back. I hate that I get "Update" notifications every few days, "critical update". They tweaked the Code, and made it worse, you gotta do this, IMMEDIATELY.

IS FF like Linux, that the odd dot is unstable, and you only install 11.6.4, and pass on 11.6.5?

I actually HAVE 2 unused copies of XP that I have never installed. Legit. I actually bought and paid for them. One was because my main machine WAS 2k, and I have Flix, and it requires at least XP to access the instant movies. I pay for it but can't use it with that old, dead, machine. The other was because I actually bought a premade computer, and XP was discounted 20 bucks, So I bought it

I just bought a new board, CPU and mem to build a new one. 8 Gig, and a 3.2 GH MD Quad core. I have SOME idea how they work, or at least go together.

Hell of it IS, I LIKE using this Lenovo laptop, more than either the 2k OR Linux machine. I extended the warranty on the Lenovo, don't know if new OS would make it void.

It isn't BAD, just NOT 2k. Mine was Pro, and it had been up for as much as 200 days without glitch, and then only because I lost power longer than my UPS could take.

When did this Forum become on where such as Mach can criticize morality?

I admit that I drink beer. MACH can get on my shit that I am a "drunkard", because I made comment that I make:

"More irrational, totally out of context drunken ramblings." I think you also posted a "Praise the Lord", so I don't take MUCH of what you say to be typical. You COULD be speaking for the rest of the Forum. Were it such, I would quietly go away.

I don't like hypocrites, and you SEEM to be one. A "holy roller". I don't CARE, but don't put on your "Holier than thou" cape, here. This is not PTL Network. It is a Manufacturing Forum..

I COULD say more, but will not.

George

My name is wippin' boy and i'm a latheaholic
    4GSR likes this.

Tony,

"Jim, you could add "CTRL A" to capture the text in the window, instead of sweeping/highlighting the text."

If it is the text in the Reply box, to move to a word processor, right click, Select All, does the same thing.

If you do it in the Forum, you will Select the whole thread.

JimR,

"Seven's just too scarey for me." 2k was for me, when I left 98SE. I KNEW that. 2k was MUCH better, in the end. A I said, I have 2 XP licenses, never used them, will have to, I HOPE I can dual boot the laptop. Or, I wipe the Linux, or the new machine will get one of them.

Oh, I also have an HP machine, store bought, that came with mail MS and get upgrade discs for Win whatcha call it, the one before 7. I cannot for the LIFE of me find them.

I know they are here, just don't know where.

Hell of it is, I am so used to the laptop, I don't even know if I WANT to use one of those other machines, any more.

Between this and the Lenovo Tablet K1, I don't NEED another tower machine. I even gave my Nook to my grand daughter. My tablet does the same thing, but larger text possible, with enough text to read.

MUCH more memory, 32 gig machine, and 64 gig possible Micro SD.

Just wish I were more adept at using the Tablet. Piss poor instructions available from Lenovo. If I were 12 YO, it would be probably intuitive.

George

jimR,

Hey, just for your enlightenment, I get mail from Newegg every couple days. Friday, one of the deals was Nuance Dragon Naturally Speaking, v11, 60 bucks, free TurboTax Deluxe as a bonus. TT Deluxe is 60 less 10 off, so 50, and free with the voice thing.

Whether that would interest you or not, or anybody else, I don't know. I usually have my TV on while I hunt and peck, I wonder if you would read more of "House" than what I have to say. Might be more entertaining.

Tracking says it should be here tomorrow. I'll have to see if I can get back at ya quicker.
    Cheers,

george

Quote Originally Posted by gmatov View Post
    Tony,

"Jim, you could add "CTRL A" to capture the text in the window, instead of sweeping/highlighting the text."

If it is the text in the Reply box, to move to a word processor, right click, Select All, does the same thing.

If you do it in the Forum, you will Select the whole thread.

<snip>

George
    That's true, of course, but we were discussing capturing the post being made in the reply window, not the entire thread. CTRL+A selects all text in the active window.

And btw, CTRL+V is paste, not cut. CTRL+X is cut.

And I have you just a bit on beginning computers (as I'm sure others here go back even farther). My first was a Trash 80, circa '77, with an audio cassette for data storage. Fun stuff, at the time.

I'm curious about how you like Dragon Speaks. Please post a little review.

Edit: Skip it..........this is OT for this thread.
    Last edited by Tony Wells; 02-27-2012 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Afterthought.

first computer
    TI99
    first computer i could actualy use
    webTV

Tony,

I think Control C is CUT, Control V is PASTE, and I know that Control P is Print. I use that all the time.

Naturally Speaking was at new Stanton, 6 miles from me, Saturday, thought it would be here, today. Wasn't.

I WILL let you know if it is worth while. I do not type well. I am up there in years.

When I hit Control+V, I lost my cursor, not the mouse pointer, but the marker on the screen that allowed me to enter or edit.

I had to go to the next thread to get it to be active, again. This IS Win 7, remember. It is NOT all that user friendly that MS swears it is. Linux is even less friendly, though some may claim it is more so, but I don't find it so.

FREE is good, but if it is not all that useable, what good is free?

F'r instance, I installed Linux on a new machine, partitioned at LEAST 7 partitions, all oddly named. I kinda LIKE partition C, D, E, whatever, and I connect a USB thumb drive IT comes up next in line.

I have played with Linux ever since it was developed, Redhat 2, I think, and other defunct developments..
    Hell, I still have the floppies to install 20 year old programs.

I am, as I said, getting

See, that is where 7 is fucking me up. I just hit the "g" to finish "getting" one line up, and I wound up 10 posts down on this Forum.

There is a LOT that is bad about Win 7.

Bed time.

George

I hear ya, George. I'm always lagging behind when new OS's appear. About the time I get used to the bugs they have, a new one comes up. I had to be dragged kicking and screaming away from nearly all of them except ME (Mangled Engineering?? Misguided Effort? Masochist's Euphoria??). It was horrible. I have a variety now, from 98se to 7, excluding ME and Vista. Didn't care for it either.

About the only Linux distro I have had much success with is Ubuntu. It's ok so far, but I still use mainly MS compatible software that I haven't found a way to run for FREE. Like you said, FREE is GOOD.

I don't understand quite why your CTRL+C isn't working like mine. Might be an over-riding hot key on your PC. All of mine that I can recall used "C" for copy and "V" for paste. Who knows? Crazy machines. I did find this where some shortcuts don't work in 7:

Keyboard Shortcuts Not Working (Ctrl A, Ctrl alt del, Ctrl S) - Microsoft Answers

and this list of common shortcuts:

Keyboard shortcuts for Windows

I'm curious about the Dragon product. I do a bit of letter writing, and not being able to type well sure makes it difficult. My wife types 80+, but I've worn out my welcome with her doing my typing.

Anyway, to make this post somewhat on-topic.....I have seen a few people lift lathes up with a bar thru the spindle for a strap on one end, and the other strap right behind the chuck. Glad it wasn't any of my machines, but the machines that were moved that way were clapped out anyway, so unless they simply broke and fell to the concrete, I couldn't tell they were harmed any. They all ran for years afterward.

Tony,

Your post 191 said "And btw, CTRL+V is paste, not cut. CTRL+X is cut." I can't understand why it doesn't work for you. X and C are next to each other. I think you are fatfingered, as I am.

I type and have to look up to see if I hit the right keys.

Goddamn, Dragon comes WITH a headset mike earphones in the box. I have not installed it, had to look at the laptop to see if it even HAD both mike and speaker jacks. It has. I will have to install tomorrow, and give it a whirl.

I am not sure that it will work on a Forum. Reading the scant instructions, it says MS Word, Open Office, Outlook, etc. Must make the cursor be in the field. I don't know if that works for the Reply Field on a Forum.

If it DOES work n any reply field, that would make my life easier when I have a "chat" with a Tech. My replies take so long, they think I have dropped off. "Are you still WITH me?"

I'll let you know what I think after I install and try it. My voice is normal, not much accent, being from SW PA, and I think I have good diction.

We shall see.

Cheers,

George

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910