What's new
What's new

Lifting a mill

Matt Matt

Cast Iron
I was wondering if anybody knew if you can solely lift the milling machine (Bridgeport) by the three-quarter 10 thread located in the dovetail headstock? I pick up my new (to me) milling machine on Tuesday. The location where I'm getting it from (and my home) does not have any cranes or forklifts. I'm in the midst of building an A-frame portable crane to load and remove. The next question I have is would it be suggested to remove the head completely for transporting? The transport will be over an hour drive through a metropolitan area (heavy traffic) and freeway/highway speeds. I have never taken the turret off before so I'm unaware of how it is connected and what I should expect.

If there is a proper lifting eye threaded in tight to the hole, threads are in good shape etc then that hole alone will take the weight of the machine. But a better idea is to wrap a lifting sling around the turret, such that straddles the column. You'll have better balance.

Speaking of which, leave the head on and rotated 180 degrees. You'll have to take the dowels out to allow this. Crank the knee down to the bottom of the travel to lower the CG even more. There are probably many threads here about moving Bridgeports.

It sound like you're going to be flying down the 401, so strap the absolute heck out of it thru and around the base, column, turret, knee with proper transport straps (no PowerFist).

That hole is designed to lift any series one mill. It has grown from 1/2 13, 5/8 10 to 3/4. make sure you use as real forged lifting bolt screwed in all the way so the shoulder jams into the casting. A Bridgeport is almost exactly five feet to the top of the ram arm. total weight is about 2200 pounds. With no good heavy lifting stuff I would remove the motor then the head to lower the center of gravity.
here is some info and links I have been saving for when I buy one and have to move it.
A $200 two ton engine hoist can lift, but not very high. probably not high enough to get it into a truck. My OTC engine hoist can lift to eight feet under the hook. It weighs about twice the china version but is much easier to move
Bil lD.

Bridgeport Series 1 Individual Component Weights

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/lifting-bridgeport-147081/

http://www.mwdropbox.com/Dropbox/Moving_a_Bridgeport_2J_Head_Milling_Machine_2.pdf

and here is how to run one

http://www.hnsa.org/doc/pdf/milling-machine.pdf

You better get someone to help unless you are an extremely lucky person. You have a steep curve to move a mill.

Personally, I wouldn't lift it unless you have to. Roll it on pipes and use a come-a-long to get it up a ramp or tilt deck. You can rent a tilt deck trailer for about $75. I have no idea where your mill is, it might be in the basement coming up trough a 2'x2' hole.

From your comments you should get someone to move it for you unless you're a quick learner. This is not the project to learn "the hard way".

I would just rotate the head down and lower the table as RC Mech suggested adding that you can't use too many chains or webbing to stabilize the load. Here is my Wells Index 860 as I'm getting ready to take if off the trailer. Prior to that pic it had enough chains/webs/tethers on it to make it look like a circus tent (Oh, and stabilize the base so it doesn't slide around either). I carried it from Michigan to Nebraska this way.

WIM003.JPG

WIM004.JPG

If (really "when") I do this again I will definitely be renting a drop-deck trailer instead of the tele-handler.

A little "side tip", take off all the handles, knobs, etc. as they could vibrate off along the way.

JMHO

-Ron

I will be dropping this into my box trailer. It is a 4 x 8 and no where close to the trailer you guys have. My trailer can definitely handle the weight. I planned on half-inch lag bolts into the skid that I will be making on site. I added an additional four eyebolts in the skid to latch down to to make it have a bigger footprint. The skid is 3 x 5image.jpg
I will be adding more crossmembers but this is just to give you an idea.

My A-frame tripod lift is constructed out of 4 x 4 box tubing and 4 x 4 pressure-treated lumber. A 1 1/2 ton chain lift will be doing the pulling. Here's the construction.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Tomorrow I will be testing the A-frame lift to unload my accusations from yesterday. The 900 pound bandsaw a 600 pound welder that are presently strapped down in my trailer.

I've moved and unloaded a few machines before, the heaviest one weighing 1700 pounds but with a low center of gravity.

I figure with more machinery coming my way, a self sustained mobile loading and unloading structure is a must.
image.jpg

Rent a forklift, they are very reasonable compared to a broken machine. If you plan on doing a lot of machine moving purchase one for the destination, you will find it very useful for other things as well. Rigging Co's are cheap also, relatively speaking, and they are insured. Be aware if you purchase a fork lift get one that will handle the anticipated loads. Maybe response is a little curt, but I've had my share of disasters, moving machinery, you just cant be too careful.

Tim

Moving BP's are a piece of cake compared to a late model Cincy Toolmaster. These things are very top heavy. I used a 3 ton trailer and a 2 ton forklift. I used 11 heavy duty aircraft cargo straps. Even with a lowered table and rotated head, the CG was still uncomfortably high. Even with all that, I was not comfortable towing it, it swayed a lot more than I liked going over bumps in the road. At the distant end, I backed the trailer under 2 , 2 ton chainfalls and dragged the trailer out from underneath. I was successful, but if I do this again, I'll use a 10 ton truck and 4 ton fork lifts at both ends. The use of adequate equipment and the peace of mind that goes with it is well worth the additional cost.

When I moved mine, it happened in steps - step 1 was to get it back to my garage. Step 2 was to wait a spell until the landscapers showed up to install some sod in my yard. The day before they were scheduled to be here, I used my garage gantry crane (using the 3/4" eye bolt) to load it into my trailer. I used my SUV to pull the trailer down the hill to the patio adjacent to my back door. I had talked to the landscape company's owner in advance, and he and the crew (with a Bobcat) picked the BP off the trailer and had it through the back door in less than 10 minutes.

I had thought about renting a forklift, but one that could handle the yard and the hill was hard to find to rent. The riggers I like to use only had a large construction 4 wheel drive forklift available. The Bobcat went from being PLAN-C to PLAN-A after I thought about it all, and the end result was perfect.

Well with a few of your replies I guess probably the safest thing is to remove the turret and skidded it up separately for transporting. Now that "X" turret retainer does it just fall down into the body when the bolts are undone? Is there different designs then the X?

For transport rotate the head upside down, lower the knee all the way, lock the gibs and strap it down securely (preferrably with chains). Keep in mind that the 2" straps are considered by the DOT to be illegal for securment. The DOT only recognizes 4" straps, one strap for every 6,000 pounds of weight. Chains are recognized as one chain (alloy stamped) for every 13,500 pounds of weight.

I've moved and set plenty of vertical mills, lathes, surface grinders and other machinery. When I arrive at my destination, I pull the head (motor and rotator off), pull the ram off and lift the base casting and knee with an engine hoist, set it (usually on adjustable machinery mounts), then set the ram back on and attach the head/rotator with an engine hoist.

Be sure the trailer or vehicle is rated for the load as well. Don't attempt to move a mill in the back of a 1/2 ton pickup. Not a wise choice. I typically use my gooseneck (14,500 pound rated) or if it's big, my Talbert 48 foot drop deck.

Also be sure the tie downs on the trailer are sufficient for securement. Just because th trailer can handle th load don't mean you can safely secure it.

For transport rotate the head upside down, lower the knee all the way, lock the gibs and strap it down securely (preferrably with chains). Keep in mind that the 2" straps are considered by the DOT to be illegal for securment. The DOT only recognizes 4" straps, one strap for every 6,000 pounds of weight. Chains are recognized as one chain (alloy stamped) for every 13,500 pounds of weight.

I agree with your machine prep, but the DOT doesn't mean FA to us in Canada. We can use 2" straps, as long as they're properly rated and labelled with the WLL printed in large lettering. There was backlash from the trucking industry years ago when that mandate came into effect- they all had to buy new straps with the WLL on the webbing.

The OPP also know about Princess Auto (equivalent to HF), and the straps they sell which do not meet our Highway Traffic Act requirements.

Matt Matt, I just noticed the photo of your trailer. Definitely take the turret off.

Don't attempt to move a mill in the back of a 1/2 ton pickup. Not a wise choice.

Let see, how many times have I broken this rule?

First haul,

Half of a No.3 Brown & sharpe mill in the back end of a Toyota 1/2 PU, 1975. the rest hauled home a few days later. It was about a 30 mile trip through Houston, freeway all the way.

A 400 mile trip from Little Rock Arkansas to Houston. Loaded a Gorton 9J mill in the back end of a GMC 1/2 PU. Yes, we did take the ram and head off. Rocked and Rolled all the way Home to Texas.

1200 plus mile trip from Rockford Illinois in 1982. Loaded another 3400 lb Gorton 9J mill in the back end of the same GMC 1/2 PU. Yes, again we took the ram and head off. Rocked and Rolled all the way Home to Texas.

Around 1990, dad brought home a 645 Index mill in the back end of his Nissan 1/2T P/U. About a 60 mile trip.

Of course this was back when the speed limit was still 55 MPH. No way I would do this today with speed limits of 70-85 MPH down here in Texas today! You would get run over pedaling 55 down the SH45 toll road....

.....If (really "when") I do this again I will definitely be renting a drop-deck trailer instead of the tele-handler...

I emphatically second this, it's much easier and way safer ! I moved my Lietz horizontal universal mill (using a rental drop bed trailer) by myself. I planned each step of the entire operation the night before, made a list of all tools and rigging required (including a bunch of 2 x 4's for bracing + a saw for fitting them) and everything went smoothly the following day. Come-along and a bunch of pipe rollers and bob's yer uncle. The rental was very reasonable, don't recall exactly but the $75 figure sounds about right.

Good luck !

Back